Author Topic: new stator disk  (Read 3797 times)

fanman

new stator disk
« on: November 15, 2008, 11:35:13 AM »
good mornin all

fanman here, its been awhile i know but work has keep me very busy these days, i have managed to do some more work on my 20 footer this summer, i started a large machine about a year ago,axial flux type, the disks are 29.5 inched wide hold 24 poles each and has 18 coils of 2 in hand #14 wire, 95 turns in each coil, that gives me 54 rpms cut in speed and the blades are 20 foot dia.

i had cast the stator disk as uasual and used ester that everyone is using, it casted out pretty nicely, with this machine i wanted to load test on ground before she flew, to get the numbers under controlled conditions, i hooked my truck up to the machine through a pto shaft and spun it up,

i got what i thought were pretty good numbers, the machine cut in at 54 rpms,at 85 volts 85 ac and we did rectifie and loaded into a 120 volt batterie bank, i ran the machine up to 36 amps ac which was app 50 amps dc to the batterie, and ran it there for about 12 minutedsrpm at that output was 115 rpms, it did indeed get hot, and a while running at that speed the ester started to dripping onto the floor, so we stopped the test run and as the stator cooled down it warped very badly,

well thats alot of money in copper wasted now, and i didnt much like that, so i decided to go a differnt way with the disk,

i made an open frame i will call it,made entirely out of 316L stainless steel, i found all stainless has some attraction the 316L has very very little almost nothing, then i made pockets for each coil to sit into,
to big a pic 1

it works very nicely so far i can put coils into it and in case of burnout replace ones as needed, no need to redo the whole plate,

underneath the coils you can see some rings that are going to pinch these coils together into the frame,

here are the top rings and they get e through bolt to the back ring and pinch them all together

and of course the bolts are all stainless steel and everything is insulted from the coils, now all that is left is to dipthe whole plate into insulting varnish to solidifie everything up real nicely, and i will be ready for another test run,

im willing to bet it will run a whole lot cooler now, granted my first test did not have the bbreeze to cool it like on the tower top, it got well over 200F inside the coils on the old stator, i did also measure that, the coil are itself you couildt touch it was so hot, and right next to the coil was cold, the ester didnt wick heat at all, i didnt have any powdermixed with it either,

i will be load testing again soon and will give results then
« Last Edit: November 15, 2008, 11:35:13 AM by (unknown) »

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
Re: new stator disk
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2008, 06:37:34 AM »
Your bench test was totally unrealistic so I am not surprised that you wrecked it.

The duty cycle of wind power is quite low and you had no forced air cooling.

Before going too far with your new arrangement I suggest that you run that metalwork between the magnets and see what the eddy losses are like. The fact that it is non magnetic is no criteria for success. Stainless has a reasonably high resistivity and that will be in your favour but I would anticipate that the eddy losses are going to be somewhere between significant and disastrous so I would check now.

You may manage to keep the framework but the clamp rings will almost certainly have to be fibreglass or something non conducting.

You have chosen a big and expensive machine to try this experiment on.

Flux

« Last Edit: November 15, 2008, 06:37:34 AM by Flux »

vawtman

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2008, 08:51:37 AM »
That's cool Dave,

I agree with Flux.Spin her up with the rotors on and see if you have any hotspots in the s. steel.I'll follow closely since i'm still thinkin of ideas for my stator.

wish ya the best,

Mark

« Last Edit: November 15, 2008, 08:51:37 AM by vawtman »

wooferhound

• SuperHero Member
  • Huntsville Alabama U.S.A.
    • Woofer Hound Sound & Lighting Rentals
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2008, 08:54:08 AM »
Your coil frame and bolts are made out of metal so eddy currents will heat all of that stuff up. What are the white coil retainer rings made out of? If the rings are metal too, then you have made a magnetic drag heater with all of that metal in there. I agree with Flux about putting it all together and spin it up, unloaded, to see how much drag and heat you get from the eddy currents.

Plus ,  you should dip the coils in your insulting varnish to keep the individual conductors from vibrating on each other and possibly shorting out.

« Last Edit: November 15, 2008, 08:54:08 AM by wooferhound »

zapmk

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2008, 11:55:01 AM »
I like the idea of being able to replace a coil one at a time in case of burn out, one's cast In ester are costly to replace on very large stators, coppers not cheep.

That in it's self has keep me from making progress on mine, coils have been made

for over a year.

Seeing these pictures has sparked a few new ideas.

Like you, I have had ideas along the same lines for making some kind frame work for holding the coils. Hmm, looks to me that you have the makings for the reverse mold to cast the frame work out of some kind of plastic?

Kind of like what WindStuff Ed does with the rib's on his Lenz2.

« Last Edit: November 15, 2008, 11:55:01 AM by zapmk »

electrondady1

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2008, 12:17:23 PM »
what a wonderful bit of welding/fabrication, fan man .

if it does not work quite as you had hoped,keep it under your hat.

but hang it up somewhere so other people can admire your workmanship.

« Last Edit: November 15, 2008, 12:17:23 PM by electrondady1 »

hiker

• BIG DOG
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2008, 12:44:36 PM »
looks to me the mags will only see the the vertacal metal rods that are on the outside of each coil leg..wrap some kind of insulating tape on those to keep the heat off of the coils..am i right in thinkin that the mags will run in the gap provided by the

metal rings?   looks great--spin er up......
« Last Edit: November 15, 2008, 12:44:36 PM by hiker »
WILD in ALASKA

windstuffnow

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2008, 01:09:33 PM »
Seem's to me it would be easier to make an outer metal ring that could be drilled to accept single coil castings.   These would be easy to remove or install without even taking the alternator appart.  

Beautiful work but it sure looks like an "overkill" approach.

« Last Edit: November 15, 2008, 01:09:33 PM by windstuffnow »
Windstuff Ed

hiker

• BIG DOG
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2008, 07:21:30 PM »
overkill--sure why not...sence the metal is all laid out--now its time to pore

in the concrete...should make for a good heat sink........... :}
« Last Edit: November 15, 2008, 07:21:30 PM by hiker »
WILD in ALASKA

hiker

• BIG DOG
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2008, 10:26:36 PM »
took  a closer look..its already insulated...
« Last Edit: November 15, 2008, 10:26:36 PM by hiker »
WILD in ALASKA

Blewsage

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2008, 05:33:37 AM »
Nice project, great workmanship! 20', Wow... I have to admire that. I like how you're trying to beat the heat problem. I guess you'll find out when you try it. I wonder if you could stabilize the coils with plasic ties? I'm sure you'll figure it out; it does look quite impressive! Way to go!!!
« Last Edit: November 16, 2008, 05:33:37 AM by Blewsage »

jclaudii

« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2008, 02:04:32 PM »
This sounds like a great idea.  It's still modular and lets you replace burnt out coils, but reduces the heat and such.  Plus, you could make it easy to change from 24 to 48 if you wanted to later on.  

Any news on your progress?

« Last Edit: November 25, 2008, 02:04:32 PM by jclaudii »

aytekin

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2018, 02:12:26 AM »
Hello. The project is very nice. What are the magnet dimensions? Respects.