Author Topic: Wood selection for blades  (Read 2224 times)

imsmooth

Wood selection for blades
« on: February 13, 2009, 03:44:33 PM »
I asked this before, but I want to see if there are any other opinions.  I can't afford to make cedar blades again.  Is douglas fir acceptable.  It is strong, but a little denser than cedar.  Poplar has a similar density to cedar.  The fir would be very cheap for me to acquire.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2009, 03:44:33 PM by (unknown) »

mgtd

Re: Wood selection for blades
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2009, 09:24:28 AM »
I used douglas fir and I'm happy with them.  About 1/2 the weight of the China fiberglass blades I originally went with.  I spent about an hour sorting through 16 foot long 2' by 8" boards until I came up with a straight grained, knot free, unwarped piece.  Used it to make all three 5" blades.  I wanted to use one board to hopefully maintain the same relative density, versus 3 different boards from three different trees.  Must have worked--very little balancing was required. About $15.00 for the wood at my local lumber company.  Good luck
« Last Edit: February 13, 2009, 09:24:28 AM by mgtd »

dbcollen

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2009, 09:38:05 AM »
If you asked once and didn't get the answer you wanted, then maybe you should do some research, as this has been discussed many times in the past.

Dustin

« Last Edit: February 13, 2009, 09:38:05 AM by dbcollen »

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2009, 09:56:30 AM »
Dustin;

Another option might be to discuss the same overall project in one place rather than a new story post on every question. Would seem to be the more efficient method on a project and lots easier for those who take time to provide answers. We do tend to give more posting leeway to those actually doing.

Hopefully he can find the info he needs. The blades stuff is pretty well documented as far as what materials folks have used. Digging it out takes some personal effort, however compared to just asking.

Good luck with it, smooth.

Tom

« Last Edit: February 13, 2009, 09:56:30 AM by TomW »

dbcollen

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2009, 10:37:45 AM »
Tom, I have respect for you and the other moderators here, but the redundancy of posts annoys me a little, I check for new posts several times a day and am always excited to see a new post. I however get disapointed when the post is something that was just discussed. In 2 minutes I did a search for "wood blades" "Wood blades fir" and "Wood blades poplar" and came up with many good posts which directly answered his question. People wanting everyone else to do all thier work for them and be spoon fed all the information really bothers me. "Digging it out takes some personal effort, however compared to just asking" Spending the time to actually dig out the info will make you think about the things you are reading. You will have the tendency to actually think on your own and use that info to make your own decisions. I am a "doer" I have several wind turbines flying or in process, Many different designs of hydro running, have implemented many solar systems. I am self taught, I don't expect anyone to spoon feed me info, I take the time to do research and build projects by trial and error. That process is very informative. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind people asking questions, I do mind people who won't do the simple research for themselves.

Rant over

Dustin

« Last Edit: February 13, 2009, 10:37:45 AM by dbcollen »

bj

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2009, 02:27:57 PM »

Insmooth--have aquired the wood for mine, spruce, but have the tools to

laminate/align grain etc.  I have to say that if Douglas Fir wasn't so

expensive here, I'd use it.  Heavy, but very strong the way you need it to

be strong.  Hope this is the last set you HAVE to build.

bj
« Last Edit: February 13, 2009, 02:27:57 PM by bj »
"Even a blind squirrel will find an acorn once in a while"
bj
Lamont AB Can.

imsmooth

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2009, 02:33:04 PM »
Thanks everyone.  I couldn't find 10 quarter fir, so I went with Poplar.  The set of blades should cost about $70.  I have the jig as Oztules pointed out, but I am questioning if I should readjust my dimensions.  
« Last Edit: February 13, 2009, 02:33:04 PM by imsmooth »

JB

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2009, 03:04:32 PM »
basswood works well . it is very light and ez to carve. jb
« Last Edit: February 13, 2009, 03:04:32 PM by JB »

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2009, 03:48:09 PM »
JB;

These bad boys are made from basswood. Surprisingly light for the size and seem durable.

http://www.anotherpower.com/gallery/4415-8-foot-prop-project

Tom

« Last Edit: February 13, 2009, 03:48:09 PM by TomW »

JB

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2009, 04:37:50 PM »
 Yep those are some beautful blades Tom. Basswood isnt popular out west but i found some furniture at a thrift store made out of it and took it apart and made some blades. Its ez to work with. Its good to see you are still around Tom. I havent been around much on this forum  the last few years just a time or 2.  I got the wind  bug again. Actually i never lost it but got  motorcycle fever again  for a few years.  I saw Jerry posted a while back and I saw his kids blog somewhere online the other day that said my dads saving the earth one garbage disposal at a time. That was real  cool.  LOL.  JB Dayton Nevada
« Last Edit: February 13, 2009, 04:37:50 PM by JB »