Author Topic: Old portable permanent magnet generator  (Read 8792 times)

Guiney

Old portable permanent magnet generator
« on: September 14, 2009, 09:48:26 PM »
Hello,

First post here. I have been given an old engine driven generator that uses a permanent magnet rotor and two stationary coils. It's a McCullagh 'MightyLite'. Made in California. The engine is broke.

I cannot find any info. on the machine to tell me what engine revs should be to give 50 Hz (or 60 Hz).

In order to get 50 Hz from this generator what speed do I need to rotate the generator at?

I am going to guess 50Hz X 60Sec / 2 = 1500 rpm??? 3000rpm seems too much for the engine to be doing (guess).

The coils are connected in series but they appear to be  wound in 'opposite' directions. (Since each winding will always have an opposite pole going accross it, this is the correct way to connect them...I think)

Would this device be suitable for connection to a wind turbine? I guess not unless with a gear box and then you

have to drive the gear box (lose energy).

This information is no doubt already on the board but I am dammed if I can find/figure it out.

See the attached drawing of generator.

Thanks

Guinney

« Last Edit: September 14, 2009, 09:48:26 PM by (unknown) »

Ungrounded Lightning Rod

• SuperHero Member
Re: Old portable permanent magnet generator
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2009, 04:18:54 PM »
Sorry but I can't make heads or tails of the diagram.

If you've only got one north and one south pole ("two pole") it will be 3000 RPM for 50 Hz, 3600 RPM for 60 Hz.  If you've got two each it will be half that.

A lot of inexpensive direct-drive alternators do run the engine at 3600 RPM and use a two-pole alternator.  It cuts the life of the engine compared to a four-pole design but simplifies the alternator.

« Last Edit: September 14, 2009, 04:18:54 PM by Ungrounded Lightning Rod »

Airstream

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2009, 04:30:29 PM »
It's a McCullagh 'MightyLite'. Made in California. The engine is broke.

I cannot find any info. on the machine to tell me what engine revs should be

Computer anything requires letter perfect input, garbage in means garbage out.

"McCulloch Mite-E-Lite"

http://www.smokstak.com/forum/showthread.php?t=65729 <-- a quick search revealed one alternator hint to keep from damaging it on reassembly...

Google Search "McCulloch Mite-E-Lite generator -chainsaw" yielded 2200 hits...

3000 RPM is a good bet for 50HZ - gearbox would eat a lot of horsepower, serpentine belts would probably be least parasitic... but its' a losing situation for wind power - it might be ideal to "add-on' to a lawnmower type Automotive alternator DC power rig to have AC and DC flavors available...

« Last Edit: September 14, 2009, 04:30:29 PM by Airstream »

Guiney

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2009, 05:59:28 PM »
Thanks alot for replys.

Mite-E-Lite it is!

I came accross an exploded diagram (similar to the one I have) at the link below on page 119.

http://books.google.ie/books?id=EiEDAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA109&lpg=PA109&dq=McCulloch+Mite-E-Lite
+generator+-chainsaw&source=bl&ots=ujqmD_4Cgk&sig=vEhgA9ZmypDmw6LzmL9xdPJBEs4&hl=en&
amp;ei=w9SuSvz9AcKj4gab75nqBw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=32#v=onepage&
q=&f=false

Rather long URL that may wrap around.

My bad diagram is inclined to make the generator look 'three dimensional' when it should in fact look more flat.

3000 rpm it will need to go at to give 50Hz

Thanks again

« Last Edit: September 14, 2009, 05:59:28 PM by Guiney »

bob g

• 8.8kwatt idi diesel thermal conversion unit
    • microcogen.info
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2009, 06:56:19 PM »
talk about wierd,, i was at the library today killing about an hour

and found a book on small engine driven gensets, and this exact unit caught my eye

because of its rather unusual design.

too strange!

bob g

« Last Edit: September 14, 2009, 06:56:19 PM by bob g »
research and development of a S195 changfa based trigenerator, modified
large frame automotive alternators for high output/high efficiency project X alternator for 24, 48 and higher voltages, and related cogen components.
www.microcogen.info and a SOMRAD member

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2009, 11:56:54 PM »
Yes it's 2 pole and ran at 3000rpm on the versions here in UK. For Canada it would be 3600rpm for 60 Hz.

One of the few commercial air gap alternators. OK for engine use but for wind power I don't know how it would work out. It may work reasonably well for 24v but will be big and heavy for the power out and single phase really restricts it to a tiny machine.

3000 rpm at 240v ( 320v peak rectified) would cut in at 24v at something like 230 rpm.

Flux

« Last Edit: September 14, 2009, 11:56:54 PM by Flux »