Author Topic: Earth Turbines Inc  (Read 791 times)

Warrior

Earth Turbines Inc
« on: November 03, 2009, 06:45:54 PM »
Hi fellas!

I was reading an old Mick Sagrillo document and he mentioned some new manufacturers using induction generators, one of which was Earth Winds..

I'm really curious as to how they get away in direct driving an induction generator at low speeds and grid tieing it.

I'm guessing electronics, but does any one around here have any clue on how it may work? Their site is not very informative...

As far as I know, induction generators need to be run about 10% above the synchronous speed to begin feeding power back to the grid. I doubt they've done this with a multi pole generator but I may be wrong.

Here's the link:

http://www.earthturbines.com/

Sorry if this was posted in the wrong section or is inappropiate. Admin can remove at will ;)

Thanks,

« Last Edit: November 03, 2009, 06:45:54 PM by (unknown) »
Why can't Murphy's Law be used to my advantage?

neilho

Re: Earth Turbines Inc
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2009, 03:02:20 PM »
I believe this is a fairly large diameter, many more poles than usual, custom generator. The idea behind it is to NOT have electronics or a synchronous inverter, for reliability and cost reasons. They've been in the beta testing phase for a couple years.

Earth Turbines is a company formed by David Blittersdorf, who's also the founder of NRG Systems.

Neil

« Last Edit: November 04, 2009, 03:02:20 PM by neilho »