Author Topic: Wind chart  (Read 2573 times)

Ronnn

• Myspase profile
Wind chart
« on: March 31, 2010, 05:43:22 PM »
Someone posted a useful wind chart a while back showing tree branch displacement illustrations relative to wind speed up to about 35-45 mph. I saved it somewhere and cannot find it. If anyone has one would they repost the link or diagram please? Searching here was a joke, the link could not find the site search engine. Google search of field lines loaded immeadiatly. Maybe the new software guy hasn't gotten to that part of the site yet.

Ron

« Last Edit: March 31, 2010, 05:43:22 PM by (unknown) »

bodyguy

Re: Wind chart
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2010, 07:33:33 PM »
This might be what you are looking for.

http://www.awea.org/Graphics_Library/images/image_52.jpg

« Last Edit: March 31, 2010, 07:33:33 PM by bodyguy »

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2010, 02:27:08 PM »
I've always had mixed impressions from for the "tree" index diagram.  The wind energy atlas tells me that the wind where I live is 4-5 meters per second.  My trees don't look like category II on the chart.

The trees around my house all show the direction of the prevailing wind in their trunks, be they evergreens or deciduous, and the branches appear to be completely "flagging" in some places.  Well, it can be windy where I live, but the average wind speed is nowhere near 15 mph.  What looks like flagging is actually sun competition, which exaggerates the impression you get from the curved trunks.  It got worse a few years ago when a heavy snowfall in May broke off a lot of north side branches.

As a "rule-of-thumb", the trees can be used as an approximation or a comparison, but I wouldn't rely only upon that for something as specific as a wind speed measurement.

« Last Edit: April 01, 2010, 02:27:08 PM by SparWeb »
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

Ronnn

• Myspase profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2010, 02:56:39 PM »
Thanks wooferhound and bodyguy. That was indeed the chart I was looking for.Sparweb,  I understand that this is not the bees knees of wind speed monitoring. But it works for me. I appreciate your efforts. Now to all those other links.

Ron

« Last Edit: April 01, 2010, 02:56:39 PM by Ronnn »