Author Topic: SoLaR sTaRtEr ALL-IN-ONE BoX...  (Read 50666 times)

Sr WiNdTeCh

• nothing
    • My SeTuP
Re: SoLaR sTaRtEr ALL-IN-ONE BoX...
« Reply #33 on: June 12, 2010, 08:45:52 AM »
hmmm......

I forgot to say that the city also said that I need a building permit to have a 20lb solar panel on my roof... I said that's crazy, he said well your roof can only hold 30lbs per sq. ft. I said ok... It's 20lbs per sq. yard the way it sits... he says well when it snows and it sits on the panel it will probably weight more than 30lbs sq. ft., so he told me to get an engineer to see if my rafters can hold the weight, if they can't then I would have to pay someone to make it so it can... I said well all this hassle isn't worth 120watts of solar so screw it I'll take it down.

As for the electrical, you should be able to zoom in on pictures, click on them and you should get sent to imageshack... the switches are all fused switches, there are Bussman DC breakers (undersized breakers even) between charge controller and batteries, and another one between batteries and inverter. I don't know if having batteries in a cooler count's as an approved battery container for one.... Plus I know this electrical inspector and he will more than likely pick apart everything he can, probably make me take everything off the cooler and mount it to a wall and end up costing me more money..

I'm not sure what to do, I've since put my panel out in my back yard and used it to charge the batteries, I think this may be my only option to get around the city.

What do you guys think about the idea tho? It was kind of just done off the top of my head and designed it as I went.  It's not exactly pretty but it's very functional.
<<<------- cLiCk HeRe FoR mY sEtUp!

Sr WiNdTeCh

• nothing
    • My SeTuP
« Reply #34 on: January 25, 2011, 08:40:18 PM »
Hey guys!

7months later... I haven't gotten anywhere with the city, it's basically a no go, unless a licensed electrician wired it all up... What a jerk!  I have it just sitting in the basement, haven't charged it or used it since about September and the solar panel is just sitting in the garage collecting dust. I'm not sure what to do.  Does anybody know what this would cost to ship if I decided to sell it? I know someone thought it probably weights 250lbs.

Or if I install this in my yard on a steal pole would the city be able to do anything about it?

Thanks guys!
« Last Edit: January 25, 2011, 09:41:08 PM by TomW »

dnix71

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2011, 08:55:53 PM »
If it's not mounted on a roof or tied down it's a portable system. That's why I never roof mounted mine. If it's under 60 volts you don't have to follow the NEC because it's considered low voltage.

Roof mount has other issues, like lightning protection, wind ratings and asthetics. If it can't be seen from the street and isn't connected to your home their shouldn't be anything the city should have anything to say about. What exactly do you want to do with this system?

I live in hurricane alley in south Florida. If someone asks I usually just say it's backup for storms. No gasoline required, no noise, will run a few lights and a fan and my computer. Most people here have suffered under extended (3 - 4 weeks straight) without the grid so the explanation immediately makes sense.

Sr WiNdTeCh

• nothing
    • My SeTuP
« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2011, 09:21:00 PM »
So because this is a 24volt system even if I have wires coming into my house they can't do anything about it?  ??? ;D

I told them it was going to a battery bank and isn't connected to the mains in any way and they still said they needed to look at everything, is this true or are they just being nosy?

dnix71

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2011, 07:50:15 PM »
If you can put up low voltage landscape lighting without a permit then they can't legally stop you, but that doesn't mean a letter from a lawyer wouldn't be necessary.

Nailing it to the roof was a bad idea. I'm still not sure what you want to do with this. If this is minimal backup for power outages then the whole system could be portable.
No wires into the house. Rack mount the panels on the ground and set the cooler with the batteries next to it where it can't be seen from the street. Do away with the fancy wiring and inverters. An Anderson connector on the battery setup somewhere inside the box should be enough. If you need off-grid power, wheel it indoors and plug in your inverter or whatever.

Remember, too, an inverter is NOT low voltage. Just panels and batteries is. No NEC for low voltage. You could use it to run lights on the lawn at night to make use of it. Direct 12v dc lighting.

Seth7

« Reply #38 on: January 27, 2011, 07:52:47 PM »
So because this is a 24volt system even if I have wires coming into my house they can't do anything about it?  ??? ;D

I told them it was going to a battery bank and isn't connected to the mains in any way and they still said they needed to look at everything, is this true or are they just being nosy?

I would let them see the whole thing .. but tell them your going to record the inspection for a possible news or Tv show and that whom ever comes to do the inspection will need to sign a release form.

Should keep the inspection an honest one.

Fused

« Reply #39 on: January 27, 2011, 08:46:44 PM »
Remember you pay for inspections seth. They dont take to having to sign consent forms well. Why make the issue worse starting out?

I did building inspections on new construction of condo's, throw me a consent form and you think Im going to go easier on the unit?
Wont happen.

If you have to be inspected, I personally would show them only what they ask to see without volunteering extra information.

Fused
« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 09:02:36 PM by Fused »

birdhouse

• Portland, OR USA
« Reply #40 on: January 28, 2011, 12:01:17 AM »
i agree with fused.

i work with inspectors once a week average.
inspectors are like cops.  they have the ability to interperit code as they see fit.  so basically, code doesn't matter.  your inspector and what he/she says matters.  i've done things way above, and way below code with passing results from inspectors. 

if it were me, i'd work on a "detachable solar mounting system" and tell him you only put the panels up on calm days when the sun is out.  thus it is portable, and non perminent.  as others have suggested, have your cooler of batteries outside during inspection.  hide your inverter for sure, and let him know you just keep the batteries topped up in case the power goes out, and run 24 volt bulbs when this happens.  then/hopefully when they sign off on your permit, just put the panels on the roof, and batteries inside (vented outside) and add a few more panels a year and if your neighbors ask about it, just say "oh yea, it's an inspected system".  just don't do any honky wiring to make anyone think otherwise, and you'll be golden.

just what i would try to pull off if i was in your shoes.

adam       

wolfie

« Reply #41 on: January 28, 2011, 11:56:07 PM »
just a little tidbit you might want to think about...i agree with fighting the system....but i looked into a grid tie at my hunting camp figuring that as it is unoccupied 300 days a yr i would have 100% sellback... in the paperwork i got from the local power company there is a small clause...setting up the panels makes you a power generator...if you are set up within 100 ft of a grid tied building..they can cut power to you unless the system has been checked by their inspectors....above and beyond and govermental inspectors.  but i wish you luck on it... as for me, atm my cabin is 104 ft from the nearest place it can be grid tied ;)

Tritium

« Reply #42 on: January 29, 2011, 06:07:02 PM »
Sometimes I miss things that the "city" has to offer in the way of convenience. Then I read of such nonsense at this and I thank God for the "very rural", rule free setting I live in.

Thurmond

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #43 on: January 30, 2011, 10:22:47 AM »
Sometimes I miss things that the "city" has to offer in the way of convenience. Then I read of such nonsense at this and I thank God for the "very rural", rule free setting I live in.

Thurmond

Amen.

Tom

thirteen

• Single going totally off grid 1,1, 2013
« Reply #44 on: January 30, 2011, 11:53:24 AM »
Depending on your panels I would put them on small wheel mounts so they are not attached to the ground. If they are attached (secured to a foundation) then they can call them permanent and tax's may go up. And they might be able to regulate your panels more. There may even be a tax break from the Big Brother (GOV) Some places have a go green tax support if you are improving your power consumption with renewable energy. Each place has different ways of dealing with alternative energy sources. Just be safe. Wish you the best.
MntMnROY 13

Sr WiNdTeCh

• nothing
    • My SeTuP
« Reply #45 on: January 31, 2011, 07:27:42 PM »
I'll have to fabricate something up with wheels, that's a very good point.

Are we sure America is "free"...... (I swear there are more rules here than any other country....)

Madscientist267

• Uh oh. Now what have I done?
« Reply #46 on: March 22, 2011, 03:56:05 PM »
Did it here -

Mine's a 60W system, but the concepts are all exactly the same, just bigger.  ;D

http://fieldlines.com/board/index.php/topic,145028.0.html

Enjoy!

Steve
The size of the project matters not.
How much magic smoke it contains does !

don1

« Reply #47 on: March 24, 2011, 10:20:24 PM »
Sr,
 That's a well thought out nice looking set up there. I must say however that our priorities are really different.  Unless I could see clear to buy a new cooler for the beer the batteries would never find there way into that cooler.
 Also I would be real carefull lifting that cooler it was not designed to carry that much weight.  Could cause a rather distressing sensation in the toes   IF you know what I mean.  :o
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 10:22:21 PM by don1 »