Author Topic: wind power  (Read 2442 times)

reef165

wind power
« on: April 12, 2010, 02:12:28 AM »
  This is my first post on here and I have only been interested in alternative power for a couple monthes. I am a DIYer but dont know much about electricity so please bear with me. I have lots of questions but I'll ask the to most pressing first. Ok, first question, the treadmill motor I have heard so much about and have aquired 3 of them, are they as good as I have read? Second question the charge controles I have seen are for eather 12v-24v-or48v, what happens when the turbine is producing over the volts your controler is rated for?

Thanks

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
Re: wind power
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2010, 07:25:05 AM »
Which treadmill motor is The treadmill motor?
Most are useless.  Many are not very good.  A few will work OK.

Open Voltage (not connected to anything) must be over the battery voltage to charge a battery.  The higher the voltage, the more charging amps flow.

In use, the turbine is connected to the battery.  The turbine can not get to a higher voltage than the battery voltage plus the diode voltage drop (0.7V).  Known a "KVL", might look it up.
The turbine is connected to the battery.  The controller is connected to the battery.
Therefore, the controller only sees the battery voltage.

G-
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

reef165

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2010, 04:13:37 PM »
 It is a PM DC motor 15 amp, 130V, 3100rpm motor.

So what you are saying is that the turbine dosnt go through the controler to the batteries?

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2010, 04:26:45 PM »
That treadmill motor is not bad.

Solar power goes through a Solar controller to the batteries.
No Good wind (dump-shunt-diversion) controller has the wind power run 'through' it.
(Soon there will be exceptions to that statement but they will not be economically viable for that scale.)

A solar controller controls the solar panels instead of the battery.
A solar type of controller is not suited to a wind turbine.
G-

Rover

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2010, 04:57:54 PM »
It is a PM DC motor 15 amp, 130V, 3100rpm motor.

So what you are saying is that the turbine dosnt go through the controler to the batteries?

Just place a diode in between the batteries and the motor (to stop the motor acting like a motor).. a bridge rectififier of sufficient ampacity will do. If you are worried about overcharging, might I suggest Ghurd's controller, he rarely plugs his own stuff. His controller will dump directly from the batteries at a certain voltage setpoint.

Its inexpensive and will work , whatever the charging source is, to protect the batteries

I'm making an assumption that you will be charging 12 volt batteries.. which pretty much inline with the treadmill motor, and your application.

Rover
<Where did I bury that microcontroller?>

reef165

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2010, 05:35:46 PM »
 Could I get a price on the controler that you are talking about? Let me get this straight, the controler for wind basicaly is just a dump, it dosnt turn off the suply from the turbine when full, it just basicaly rerauts it from the batteries? Yes I'm thinking of runing 12v batteries, I'm unsure on how many as of yet. I am thinking of getting one of those grid tie inverters that ya plug into an outlet, dose anyone have an opinion on those?

reef165

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2010, 05:38:31 PM »
 Oh, and do I half to rectify the turbine to DCV to charge the batteries?

reef165

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2010, 05:41:40 PM »
  This is what I have so far, it is to short so I plan on mounting it on a 20 foot pole in the back. I was just trying to get it in the air to test the output but its to low and close to the house.

Rover

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2010, 06:48:49 PM »
Could I get a price on the controler that you are talking about? Let me get this straight, the controler for wind basicaly is just a dump, it dosnt turn off the suply from the turbine when full, it just basicaly rerauts it from the batteries? Yes I'm thinking of runing 12v batteries, I'm unsure on how many as of yet. I am thinking of getting one of those grid tie inverters that ya plug into an outlet, dose anyone have an opinion on those?

I am not affiliated ... but here is a link http://ghurd.info/

I'm quite sure  a new post will bring Ghurd into the fray for any questions you may have
Rover

Perry S

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2010, 04:39:28 PM »
That's and interesting looking little VAWT. Unfortunately, I do not believe this motor will get up to charging voltage with this design. VAWT's spin slow, especially drag based VAWT's. Your motor will need to spin up to about 350 rpm to start charging a 12V battery. I think you will end up with a cool looking turbine that usually runs around 6-10 V which might start charging in little spikes at the crest of every gust.

Perry

reef165

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2010, 02:41:20 AM »
 Ya, I've been thinking of taking it apart and selling the motor. I have already sold one treadmill motor on Ebay and have another one on there for sale now. I think I want to get one of these.
http://www.amazon.com/Sunforce-Wind-Generator-Model-44445/dp/B001C3NP4W

reef165

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2010, 02:42:11 AM »
 But just the 12v version of that.

Rover

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2010, 06:39:40 AM »
ooo...looks like an Air-x, I know because I have one.... hope you have lots and lots of wind. Mine is situated in the corner of me shed resting upside down against the wall without its blades mounted. Seems to do a little better in that position than it did mounted on the tower.
Rover

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2010, 08:16:57 AM »
I agree with Rover.
Probably be better off making a HAWT, using the 350RPM cut in treadmill motor with decently made PVC blades.
G-