Author Topic: Inverter question???  (Read 1211 times)

ja2tn

Inverter question???
« on: August 15, 2005, 02:26:16 PM »
Am I thinking wrong here or what??

Why buy say a Xantrex/Trace SW 5548 inverter and get 5500 watts of power for $2795.99 when you can buy 2 Prowatt 3000 (@ $800 each) and one Prosine 1000 (@ $890)... that totals 7000 watts (6000 MSW and 1000 TSW) for $2490.00?? Wouldnt this be cheaper all together or is there a reason that I am not seeing??

I got the prices for the Prosine and Prowatt from here: http://www.xantrex.com/web/id/10/inter.asp

And the SW 5548 from here: http://www.affordable-solar.com/inverters---by-manufacturer.html OK... I guess that will do for now!

Thanks,

Jerry

in the mountains of Tennessee

« Last Edit: August 15, 2005, 02:26:16 PM by (unknown) »

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
Re: Inverter question???
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2005, 08:59:43 AM »
Jerry

The main reason is that with the 5548, there is the ability to pull a max of 5500 watts from one unit; if you where to purchase the other units you would have to have seperate wiring panels for each of the inverters and you would be limited by their short burst maximums.

Bruce S

« Last Edit: August 15, 2005, 08:59:43 AM by (unknown) »
A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard

nothing to lose

Re: Inverter question???
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2005, 09:27:31 AM »
Yep, you can pull all the power from one large inverter for those large loads that can't be broke down to seperate smaller inverters. Like maybe a Welder or other high power device as well as not needing seperate pannels for each circuit as you probably would need for 2 3000watt inverters.

As for thinking pricing, maybe go with an Aims 5000watt inverter for around $500-$600 for Mod wave. Get all 5000watts from one inverter for less than 1 3000watt inverter. Then go for a true sinewave for what ever you need that for in the size you need.

I like my Aims inverter, seems good and reliable, solid too. I dropped mine hard the other night and it bounced pretty hard off the ground. Oh I was mad too! Knocked the front and rear cover loose from under the screws, figured I ruined it for sure, but it's worked fine for 3 days since then so far. I must have flexed the aluminum case alot when it hit the ground to knock those ends loose like that, but no dents in it. I just have to take the screws out and put the covers back under them.

Perhaps I should either clean my yard up or put a light out there, could have been bad tripping in the dark like that, could have broke the inverter not to mention my kneck!

"you can buy 2 Prowatt 3000 (@ $800 each)"

$1600 for 6000watts, Or $600 for 5000watts, I would probably buy another Aims myself, this one has been good. I bought mine from an E-bay dealer for $480 and drove up to get it in person in Kansas. I use it portable alot and it has been bounced around alot (though dropping it was only once) and it's ran everything I put on it so far as long as I have enough batteries connected for the amps. Only problem has been a digital clock, really bad for keeping time. Could have been the clock or inverter or combination of both, not sure. Frig, freezer, large aircompressor, no problems.

« Last Edit: August 15, 2005, 09:27:31 AM by (unknown) »