Author Topic: UPS to Inverter conversion  (Read 998 times)

Titantornado

UPS to Inverter conversion
« on: April 30, 2006, 04:44:54 PM »
So I have an old APC 1000va UPS with dead batteries, and was considering making it into an inverter.  Surely enough, as has been reported here before, it won't turn on without household power present.  So I took it apart to see what makes it tick, and was surprised to see so much solid state in there.  For me, it's more than I can grasp or understand how to modify.  But, I know a little.  Like, I know that when the house power goes off, a relay(s) click, and it is running on batteries.

OK, suppose I were to manually close the correct relay(s) to make it run as if on battery backup.  Could it be that easy?  I'm not interested in the battery charging portion of the circuit board, which means I can remove the power cord, eliminating the hazard of powering it with the relay bypassed.  I just got to try find the simple way to do this, if possible. ICs knowledge is on the outer fringe of my mind's capability.

A side note, if used for continuous power, there are two nice spots for pancake fans on each side of the transistor heatsinks.

Thoughts welcome

« Last Edit: April 30, 2006, 04:44:54 PM by (unknown) »