Author Topic: Need help thinking out a good system  (Read 912 times)

jxc582

Need help thinking out a good system
« on: August 08, 2007, 02:44:30 AM »

Does anyone know how much power a 2.984 kw motor will produce as a generator anyway?

So, I have a Xantrex st2500 grid tie that is designed for solar panels. It requires inputs are at least 48v. The motor is rated at 210v dc.

I see two options

1)

I can charge a 48v battery bank with a controller that is paralleled to the grid tie. I'd think that could regulate to voltage so it won't fry the grid tie.

2)

I can charge a 12v bank with a controller and parallel a voltage increasing circuit to supply my grid tie.

The second loses efficiency do to the voltage increasing but I would be able to get power from my wind generator more frequently in low winds.

I read some of the posts here and can see you electrical guys can help this MET out.

Thanks

Jake

I was under the impression that the grid tie cycled a logarithm to adjust for the power output changes of solar panels. Granted, the fluctuations of a windmill far exceed that of a solar array. With a paralleled battery charging load the fluctuations shouldn't be to bad (I hope). I got the grid tie broken for 250 and I am repairing it (looking around for those last hard to find parts). The windyboy or my choice the outback would be better suited for this but I don't have so much money. The motor was given to me from Penn state. The rating is off the motor so I think that would be an input. It is anti-islanding, so grid power outage would cause a lot of power to be dumped by the charge controller but I can't afford an alternative.

What do you think the output would be then?

If I spin it by hand with an ampmeter I get 1 to 2 amps.

Don't get why the repost?

« Last Edit: August 08, 2007, 02:44:30 AM by (unknown) »

jxc582

Re: Need help thinking out a good system
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2007, 08:46:52 PM »

« Last Edit: August 07, 2007, 08:46:52 PM by (unknown) »