Author Topic: 12 Volt Power Supply to Battery Charger  (Read 928 times)

(unknown)

12 Volt Power Supply to Battery Charger
« on: February 10, 2009, 03:14:57 PM »
Great Great information board.......Thank you all.

My battery charger burned out but I have a old (1980's) 12 volt power supply that can put out 20 amps. It has two transformers, two large capacitors, two good size diodes and a few transistors. I hooked it to my battery and nothing happened because it only put out an even 12 volts. Their is a potentiometer on top to adjust voltage. After setting it to 14.5 volts it began to charge at about 6 amps. About an hour later the voltage was the same 14.5 but amps had gone down to 1.5 amps. It seems to be charging my battery. I can go to 16 volts and it will up the amps and again taper as it charges. With the amps dropping down this seems to be working as a normal battery charger using amps and not voltage. Seems I could use it to equalize my batteries (two T-105's) on my solar system by going to 15.5 volts for a few hours every couple of months. Am I right? OR should I just break down and buy a new battery charger?

I don't think these posts belong so until a policy on these "not re but loosely related" posts I am not allowing them from new folks.

« Last Edit: February 10, 2009, 03:14:57 PM by (unknown) »