Author Topic: Which flex wires and where to buy?  (Read 1817 times)

(unknown)

Which flex wires and where to buy?
« on: July 02, 2004, 07:18:34 AM »
I am following Hugh´s book and I am now looking for flex wire. According to the book the flex wire should be flexible wire with hihg temperature insulation. Is this special wire or would any flexible electrical wire do?

If special, where can a spool be purchase online?

Also the what is RESIN cored solder wire? I have solder wire, ordinary, and wonder if that will do.

« Last Edit: July 02, 2004, 07:18:34 AM by (unknown) »

kirk

Re: Which flex wires and where to buy?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2004, 08:47:00 AM »
Litz wire
« Last Edit: July 02, 2004, 08:47:00 AM by (unknown) »

DanB

• Global Moderator
  • SuperHero Member
    • otherpower.com
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2004, 09:42:47 AM »
by flex wire Im not quite sure what you mean, but Im guessing its the wire you need to wind the coils from??  

If so, it's what we'd call "magnet wire" - and it varies a bit in its insulation - some has higher temp ratings.  

Our prices are not the best on it, but we have it here:

http://www.wondermagnets.com/cgi-bin/edatcat/WMSstore.pl?user_action=list&category=Electricity%3
BMagnet_Wire

Rosin core solder is the typical sort you'd use for electronics... vs Acid core which might be more appropriate for plumbing or stained glass.  Probably what you have is fine... but if you goto Radio Shack, or any electronics store, they'll have it.

The only other possibility here for "flex wire" would be that which goes down the tower...  but that's nothing to worry about till after the machine is done.

« Last Edit: July 02, 2004, 09:42:47 AM by (unknown) »
If I ever figure out what's in the box then maybe I can think outside of it.

(unknown)

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2004, 11:01:35 AM »

Dan, I have magnet wire which I ordered from wondermagnets but in Hugh´s "How To Build A Windturbine" book it says to use "flexibe wire with high temperature insulation" for inbetween the coils and the rectifier. The way its done in Hughs book the flexible wire is inside the stator so I need it to make the stator.

Going to a local store they didnt know what I meant by "Flexible wire with high temperature insulation" so I decide to ask here if it. Meanwhile I called another store and they seemed to know what that was so they gave me article number and I ordered it. So now I have order online #14 insulated flexible wire that withstands 105Celsius. I hope 105C is enough(!?).

About the resin core solder its called something else in my language so I didnt know what it was in English. But now its straigtened out. Thanks. I have the right type of solder it seems.

« Last Edit: July 02, 2004, 11:01:35 AM by (unknown) »

Walt

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2004, 11:37:04 AM »
The type of wire that Hugh is speaking of is the type that is used in commercial construction. The type that is pulled through conduit. It has a special coating on the outside of the insulation.   Hope this helps. Walter
« Last Edit: July 02, 2004, 11:37:04 AM by (unknown) »

zubbly

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2004, 12:00:53 PM »
Hello bobby2!

Flex wire eh.

It is more than likely that you are talking about the lead wire that connects to the magnet wire of the coils.

Common types used in electric motors are HYPOLON "class B-105 degree C", EPDM "classF-150 degree C", and SILICONE BRAID "class H-200-220 degree C".

All are rated 600volt maximum, may be either soldered with common solder or a 5% silfoss braze may be used. The term "flexible" is because the gauge size is made up from very fine wire giving it much more flex than standard household or wire which would be used in conduit runs.

Easily obtainable from electric motor repair shops in all sizes.

If you wish to order from a motor rewind shop or their suppliers, do a google under E.A.S.A.      E.A.S.A stands for electric apparatus service association which all good motor shops are members of world wide. You can find at the web site the complete listing of all the motor shops complete with their phone numbers and e-mail addresses if available. Also, if you look under "associate members" you will find all the major suppliers of proper rewind materials that supply the motor rewind shops and motor manufacturers.

hope this helps, have fun!

zubbly

« Last Edit: July 02, 2004, 12:00:53 PM by (unknown) »