Author Topic: Exceltech inverter Question  (Read 1032 times)

JB

Exceltech inverter Question
« on: July 05, 2004, 08:58:58 AM »
A couple weeks back at the swap meet i picked up a exceltech xp1100 12 volt inverter. The guy plugged a drill into it and it worked so I gave him 50 bucks for it. when I got it home I hooked it up again and noticed the cooling fan didnt run. I was wonderin if anyone knows if the fan should run when  the switch is turned on or is there a thermostat or something inside it to turn the fan on once the inverter gets hot. I could try and run something off of it for a while but I dont want to burn it up either. I guess I could call them but just wonderin if anyone knows before I have to do that. Thanks JB
« Last Edit: July 05, 2004, 08:58:58 AM by (unknown) »

baggo

Re: Exceltech inverter Question
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2004, 09:25:15 AM »
The fan on the Exeltech inverter is thermostatically controlled so will not run until it starts getting warm. On the cheaper smaller inverters the fans run all the time which can waste precious power. If you don't have a manual for the XP1100 you can download it from www.exeltech.com.

John

« Last Edit: July 05, 2004, 09:25:15 AM by (unknown) »

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2004, 09:30:07 AM »
JB;

I don't have an Exceltech inverter but both of mine [wagan & Aerotech] do not activate the cooling fan until they get warmed up so it wouldn't surprise me if it is on a thermostat of some type.

Personally, I would fire it up with a moderate load and eyeball it awhile see if it kicks on after a bit. Seems like a short term loading wouldn't roast anything until it was obviously hot. Of course I am comfortable testing things like this and you may not be.

Cheers.

TomW

« Last Edit: July 05, 2004, 09:30:07 AM by (unknown) »

JB

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2004, 05:39:15 PM »
Thanks A Lot. I read the pdf and it has a thermostat. Running a milwaukee 1/2 inch drill for about 5 minutes never turned the fan on  but never seemed to get terribly hot either. I was surprised it called for ot wire though for a 5 foot hookup. Never thought it would have to be that heavy. JB
« Last Edit: July 05, 2004, 05:39:15 PM by (unknown) »