Author Topic: more on battery chargers..  (Read 901 times)

kita

more on battery chargers..
« on: July 05, 2004, 10:00:56 AM »
anyone know if its possible to 'double up' say two 8amp chargers to get 16 amps combined? any ideas on the wiring? thanks guys (i've got absaar 6/12v 8a switcheable chargers, gel cell batts)
« Last Edit: July 05, 2004, 10:00:56 AM by (unknown) »

BrianK

Re: more on battery chargers..
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2004, 02:43:58 PM »
I did a double up on chargers and what I noticed is that the chargers that i used just dropped the amout of amps to half of what one would do say that one is putting out 10 amps then when adding number the second charger they both ran at 5 amps I may not be totally correct, but others on this board that know a lot more may agree or disagree hope this helps or others will add more.

« Last Edit: July 05, 2004, 02:43:58 PM by (unknown) »

Ungrounded Lightning Rod

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2004, 03:28:02 PM »
anyone know if its possible to 'double up' say two 8amp chargers to get 16 amps combined?

I did a double up on chargers and what I noticed is that the chargers that i used just dropped the amout of amps to half of what one would do say that one is putting out 10 amps then when adding number the second charger they both ran at 5 amps

A good regulated charger will push current until either it hits its current limit or the voltage across the battery rises to the set limit.

So you CAN double up on chargers to get more current IF the battery can take the charge rate (i.e. if it's a couple giant golf-cart batteries rather than a single small deep cycle) - or if the battery is also under load so the chargers are feeding the load.  But if one charger is adequate to charge the battery at the max rate, adding a second will just make them both loaf - or maybe the one with the higher setpoint do all the work.

Caveat:  This assumes the design of the PARTICULAR chargers doesn't have some pathology that will cause them to fry or otherwise screw up if they're both hooked up at the same time.

« Last Edit: July 05, 2004, 03:28:02 PM by (unknown) »

richhagen

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2004, 06:51:07 PM »
You should be able to double up chargers if they have an isolated output without any problem.  
« Last Edit: July 06, 2004, 06:51:07 PM by (unknown) »
A Joule saved is a Joule made!