Author Topic: smart-ups 1400  (Read 1092 times)

(unknown)

smart-ups 1400
« on: December 29, 2004, 02:06:54 AM »
Hello I am a computer teck and often receive used or broken backup power supplys.currently I am wondering if this smart-ups 1400 would work for my current power project a backup source for my toyo stove.I would like to put larger battery's instead of the current ones.I believe it is 24volt 1400 watt.

can this unit charge a larger bank? can it be modified for just an inverter?can it be continues duty?Should I be saving parts out of dead ones for the wind generator I wish to build? Bridge rectifier? diods?

I would appreciate any advice on this .

Thanks

abigfoot in Alaska
« Last Edit: December 29, 2004, 02:06:54 AM by (unknown) »

whatsnext

Re: smart-ups 1400
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2004, 08:08:30 PM »
I use one of those with two 150Ah vrla batteries. It keeps them topped up nicely and I could probably run my PC for hours if need be. You get one heck of a spark though when you first connect the batteries so watch yourself.

John........
« Last Edit: December 28, 2004, 08:08:30 PM by (unknown) »

PaulJ

Re: smart-ups 1400
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2004, 05:06:37 AM »
   I've been using an APC 2200 smart UPS as an inverter for a few weeks now (weekend use only). It's a 48V unit, so I'm not sure how relevant this will be to you, but it seems fine for continuous use so far, no sign of overheating even when run near max. output (2HP compressor + fridge).

I'm in Australia, this UPS has a 230 volt output, so again, it may not be relevant to your situation.

They're a bit tricky to start up as an inverter without grid power but it can be done; also, if you switch then off at the front panel when they're not grid connected they still drain the batteries, you need to unplug them or install a switch.

I plan to post on this subject in the next few days if I get the time.

Paul.

« Last Edit: December 29, 2004, 05:06:37 AM by (unknown) »