Author Topic: safety/setup question  (Read 865 times)

Oly

safety/setup question
« on: April 05, 2005, 01:57:44 PM »
The cabin I bought has the batteries (6 T-105s set up for 12V) located inside, in a loft space. I want to add an inverter ~ 1500 W. Question is, where to locate the inverter? I don't want to put an ignition source in the same space as the batteries, but the inverters all recommend less than 3 feet cable length. How do you all deal with this, just get longer cables and run the inverter to a different room? I could put the batteries outside, and wire the inverter through a wall, but that would but the batteries quite a bit farther from the solar panels and charge controller, which I understand is undesirable. I'm sure you've all solved this already; looking for some suggestions. Thanks.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2005, 01:57:44 PM by (unknown) »

jimjjnn

Re: safety/setup question
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2005, 08:06:38 AM »
I think I would move the batteries as Hydrogen gas is explosive and can really ruin your day. Also other nasties are emitted by batteries. I wonder what the acid fumes are doing to the wood in the area of the batteries as well as to the health of people in the cabin.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2005, 08:06:38 AM by (unknown) »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
Re: safety/setup question
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2005, 09:28:03 AM »
The batteries like to be around room temperature.

The controller should be close to the batteries, so if you move the batteries, move the controller too. If it is temperature compensated, they should all be in the same temperature.

A few more feet of wire between the panels and batteries is fine if the connections are good and solid, and the wire is heavy enough.

It is common to place the batteries in an enclosure, vented to the outside.

(They can be bought, so finding a photo is easy, then one can be built locally, saving a ton on shipping costs. Just a thought.)

But I would sure get something between the batteries and the floor, fast!

Two cents

G-

« Last Edit: April 05, 2005, 09:28:03 AM by (unknown) »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller