Author Topic: 3 PHASE CONFUSION  (Read 1256 times)

windrules

3 PHASE CONFUSION
« on: May 03, 2005, 02:19:23 AM »
Hi everyone,

I am confused how to hook up my coils to achieve delta with 9 coils 3 phase with 12 mags.I whent to Eds site and managed to get more confused.I had a diagram that explained it clearly but now I want to do it just cant find anywhere.The triangle type diagram doesn't seem clear to me where to hook wires up.If some one can piont me in the right direction would be much appreciated.

Regards,

Mos
« Last Edit: May 03, 2005, 02:19:23 AM by (unknown) »

windstuffnow

Re: 3 PHASE CONFUSION
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2005, 09:52:15 PM »
  Think of it as each leg of the triangle is one phase of the alternator.  With a 9 coil layout you have 3 sets of 3 coils ( 3 coils per phase).  Those 3 coils are wired in series as are the other two sets of coils for the other phases,  so you have a start and end to each phase. The ends all attatch to the start wires and you have 3 pairs of wires connected making 3 output wires.  phase 1 end is connected to phase 2 start, phase 2 end is connected to phase 3 start and phase 3 end is connected to the start on phase 1.  Those three connections become your output wires as well.

Does that help any?

have Fun

Windstuff Ed

« Last Edit: May 02, 2005, 09:52:15 PM by (unknown) »
Windstuff Ed

nanotech

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2005, 04:48:37 AM »
Hi, I think I've got this right in my following diagram....

The coils are numbered around the stator 1-9.  The black are the coil wires.  The red are the connections you'll need to make, and the green is your outputs to the three rectifiers.

As I say, I hope I got it right, as I threw it together in about 10 seconds on my way out the door to work!!  :)

No, I'm not addicted to these boards!!  :)
« Last Edit: May 03, 2005, 04:48:37 AM by (unknown) »

K3CZ

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2005, 05:56:03 AM »
The above seems clear enuf, but I have a continuing problem identifying all the possible coil hook-up arrangements, and the electrical characteristics of each.  If one has an even number of magnets and coils, then the output of the the opposite pair of coils in series would be 2x the output of one coil.  However, with an odd number of either coils or magnets (or both), no two coil/magnet pairs are simultaneously timed, and that relationship no longer holds.  Also, adjacent magnet pairs are of opposite polarity, and adjacent coils when (wired in series) have what combined output? Is it 1x or 2x output voltage of one coil, or something in between as their timing in relation to the passing magnets is not the same?

Hugh's workbook 8' machine uses this arrangment with adjacent coils feeding the two input terminals of a bridge rectifier(and all coils having their beginnings commoned together), but how does one predict the DC output of this setup and calculate the required turns/coil?  That particular arrangement ends up with a 5 phase star(?) hookup.

Anyhow, I am building my rotors first, and then a test coil(or two)using a temporary stator on a bench rig, and then trying to make a simple hookup table that will cover most of the possible arrangements with measured DC voltage outputs.

Van      K3CZ
« Last Edit: May 03, 2005, 05:56:03 AM by (unknown) »

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2005, 09:10:52 AM »
All the coils in one phase should be under the same position in relation to the magnets at the same time and their voltages add directly.

Coils under magnets of the same polarity are connected start to finish. If there are coils under magnets of opposite polarity they need reversing, ie start to start and finish to finish so that the volts add.

For three phase star the voltage of 2 phases ( line voltage) is 1.73 X  phase voltage.

For the 5 phase case the factor is 1.9.

For practical purposes the dc volts is the line ac volts x 1.4 for 3 or 5 phase.

Forget about odd number of magnets, that is not practical.

hope this helps.

Flux

« Last Edit: May 03, 2005, 09:10:52 AM by (unknown) »

windrules

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2005, 04:32:13 PM »
Thanks guys particularly Ed for clearing this up for me.it is as in circuit daigram but I just couldn't get it into my head until you explained.

Thanks again ,

Mos
« Last Edit: May 03, 2005, 04:32:13 PM by (unknown) »

BeenzMeenzWind

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2005, 01:40:20 AM »
I fully understand that one, dude. I can look at digital circuits and gnerally suss em pretty quick. Anything analogue and it may as well be hieroglyphics until I've rewound my brain about 5 years. lol

Shame you can't build digital alternators. (Well, I suppose you could, but...)

« Last Edit: May 04, 2005, 01:40:20 AM by (unknown) »