Author Topic: stupid newby question  (Read 1473 times)

(unknown)

stupid newby question
« on: May 05, 2005, 06:37:58 AM »
I understand that any permanent magnet electric motor can be used as a pmg. Does the motor need to be modified in any way, or is it as simple as spinning the shaft? What size motor is ideal for a smaller project? I'm looking for something to power my shed; lights and a few small power tools.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2005, 06:37:58 AM by (unknown) »

stevesteve

Re: stupid newby question
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2005, 03:42:54 AM »
Any small permenent magnet motor should work as a PMG if spun but there are issues with the voltage, power requirements, wear on brushes etc that may make them suitable (or not!) for your requirements. Small motors can be used to charge a couple of NiCads. Powering a shed long-term might require one of Zubby's beautifully modified motors with coils on the stator and neo magnets on the rotor.

It is a good project and I would be interested to hear how you progress. My plan is to get the greenhouse off-grid, then the shed and maybe the house last, using each stage as a pilot for the next.

« Last Edit: May 05, 2005, 03:42:54 AM by (unknown) »

henjulfox

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2005, 06:45:13 AM »
For those of us with no mechanical skills or tools a PM motor is a good starting point. Look for a motor with a high operating voltage and low RPM to get useful voltage at common windspeeds. Good luck!

-Henry
« Last Edit: May 05, 2005, 06:45:13 AM by (unknown) »

nothing to lose

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2005, 09:32:39 PM »
As they say, or you can also use chain and sprocket or belts and pullies to gear them up faster than the blades would turn them mounted directly.

I have a 75lb 2hp 180V 11-16amp DC motor sitting here still I am trying to figure out what to do. Electric vehicle, wind gennie, riding mower?? For a Wind gennie I would run large blades of 8'-12' for torque and use large pully on them and small on the motor I think. With a tread mill motor that is what I would do anyway but smaller set.

Some low Rpm motors you can mount blades right on the motor shaft, others not good to do. Some have bearings, some only brass bushings, so that makes alot of difference how long they may last which way.

If I mounted that 75lb 2Hp as a gennie it will produce alot of power with the correct setup! But then that's alot of weight in the air, and I am thinking it would be good for several ground uses.

« Last Edit: May 05, 2005, 09:32:39 PM by (unknown) »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2005, 08:54:04 AM »
You should search here for 'TDM' and 'Treadmill'.

That is a great start.

G-
« Last Edit: May 06, 2005, 08:54:04 AM by (unknown) »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

(unknown)

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2005, 12:26:43 PM »
thanks for the help, I'll update as I go along with this project. The comment about gearing a larger higher rpm motor was interesting. I work at a pulp mill and have access to some older 3hp motors. It should make for some fun expirementing anyways...

Tim

« Last Edit: May 06, 2005, 12:26:43 PM by (unknown) »

nothing to lose

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2005, 10:52:28 PM »
"some older 3hp motors"

Are those DC? Permanant magnets? If so they may work well, I have a 2hp that will run a 12V fan turning it by fingers, but I got to work on it, too stiff. Also very heavy, 75lbs just motor!

I loosen that one up and mount blades right on the shaft and I would have a pretty good power plant I am sure, but pretty heavy and need a solid tower for it for sure.

« Last Edit: May 08, 2005, 10:52:28 PM by (unknown) »