Author Topic: Whats the better Controller? Pros & Cons  (Read 3528 times)

sparkz

Whats the better Controller? Pros & Cons
« on: June 06, 2005, 01:23:49 AM »
I have been looking at charge controllers for a starter PV system and with a

mind to Add both Wind and Hydro later.

( would need a dump for them )

I am looking for thoughts and options both good and bad and even comparable

controller recomendions

I will run at 24 volt but am forced to start 12V for now later the system

will/would  have a 48 V input hopefully

the start solar will be 2 80 watt PV panels though in to 2 X 12V deep cycle

or biting the bullet may just do 4 golf batts

so allots up in the air

the question is on Charge controllers for now

1. The Trace C-40
  2. The Tristar TS-45
  3. Unknown  you tell me LOL

I was to buy something I wont get stuck with later so that's why 40Amp

I don't want anything potted as I cant repair when and if that time comes

NEMA 1 fits the bill here

please let me know Pros & Cons

that you have had and if you have any retired equipment that might fit my

app please let me know

Thankz

Sparkz

SE Highlands of Kentucky

« Last Edit: June 06, 2005, 01:23:49 AM by (unknown) »

sparkz

Re: Whats the better Controller? Pros & Cons
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2005, 07:26:08 PM »
I was tryin to get the poll thing to work but i screwed that up
« Last Edit: June 05, 2005, 07:26:08 PM by (unknown) »

Tom in NH

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2005, 10:19:56 PM »
I can't tell you which is better, but I can tell you my C40 has run flawlessly and continuously for almost a year now. I got mine used and cheap on ebay. Turned out it was broken because a previous owner had shorted a jumper on the circuit board and burned a trace. A simple bit of bypass surgery restored it to full functioning.

You could do worse than choose a C40. Have you considered one of those power point tracking (MPPT) models? I've heard from some who use them that they are pricey, but worth the extra money because they can charge faster with greater efficiency.

--Tom

« Last Edit: June 05, 2005, 10:19:56 PM by (unknown) »

richhagen

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2005, 11:42:32 PM »
I can't answer as to which is better, but I have two Trace C-40's (and 2 Trace C-12's used for lighting).  One C-40 sees light use in a 200 watt 48 volt lighting setup for about a year and a half (geez has it been that long), and one sees use in my 12 volt setup as a diversion controller for heat in the winter, the diversion load is about 250 watts.  I havn't managed to fry them to date, or the C-12's either.  Rich
« Last Edit: June 05, 2005, 11:42:32 PM by (unknown) »
A Joule saved is a Joule made!

halfcrazy

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2005, 06:22:40 PM »
i use a c series controller and it is rock solid for the money they are hard to beat
« Last Edit: June 06, 2005, 06:22:40 PM by (unknown) »

12volt dan

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2005, 05:41:52 PM »
I've had a c-60 for 4 years now without a single problem. If the price is right on that c-40 I say go for it
« Last Edit: June 07, 2005, 05:41:52 PM by (unknown) »

Nando

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2005, 09:24:39 PM »
Sparkz:

I will give you a simple technical report

The Trace C40, is a current limiter using pulses (around 100 Hz), it will allow the rated current ( this case is 40 amps) and if greater will start pulse at a duty cycle to give an average of 40 amps, it is not a MPPT device, so one will not be able to attain an additional of about 30 % higher charging current.

We are using one for a small Hydro system that is running now, but if you do not have the proper impedance transformation between the C40 and the generator one may stall it if it is power limited.

The Tristar TS 45, as I understand it behaves the same way without MPPT.

I would suggest one that has MPPT, it is equivalent to 30 % higher current harvesting, so it is like having one 120 watts panel and a 40 watts panel in parallel-

I suggest the Outback MX60 if you can afford it

Nando

« Last Edit: June 07, 2005, 09:24:39 PM by (unknown) »

Seth

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2005, 10:44:38 PM »
I had a MX60 .. for 1 year and 3 months .. then it went up in smoke .... and a nice hole in the PCB and a nickel sized buddle of lead in one corner.  so i went to the back up .. the trace C60.   i wasent verry happy that the MX died ... shortly after the warrenty .... but ... go figure.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2005, 10:44:38 PM by (unknown) »

Seth

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2005, 10:45:56 PM »
I had a MX60 .. for 1 year and 3 months .. then it went up in smoke .... and a nice hole in the PCB and a nickel sized puddle of lead in one corner.  so i went to the back up .. the trace C60.   i wasent verry happy that the MX died ... shortly after the warrenty .... but ... go figure.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2005, 10:45:56 PM by (unknown) »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2005, 06:57:40 AM »
The TS 45 is a series controller using pulses at about 300HZ.

G-
« Last Edit: June 08, 2005, 06:57:40 AM by (unknown) »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

boB

• boB
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2005, 10:48:09 PM »
>>I had a MX60 .. for 1 year and 3 months .. then it went up in smoke .... and a nice hole in the PCB and a nickel sized buddle of lead in one corner.

That's not good Seth... The puddle of lead in one corner that is...

We had some problems with the microprocessor it turns out.  (You can't always trust silicon)  This one took quite a while to figure out. We have a software workaround now and the latest units work flawlessly, even at high input voltages.

It was usually more of a problem with higher input PV volts and lower output V. Like, 72V PV (nominal) to 24V battery.

You might call Nevin or Ken or me at OutBack and see about getting that taken care of.  Just tell them boB sent you.  There's a good chance we can fix you up.  I'd hate to have you dissatisfied.

Thanks and hallucinations, etc.

boB Gudgel

OutBack Power

« Last Edit: June 09, 2005, 10:48:09 PM by (unknown) »

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2005, 12:07:47 AM »
boB;

Well, Outback has been far up my list of "good" companies, mostly from others experience. I don't own any of your gear or have any direct experience with your equipment but you guys just got bumped to the top of my list. Now if I could just afford some of your gear like a nice 5 kw 48 volt inverter and controller. Glad to see you guys watch this board and respond to customer problems.

Be sure to post a story when you have your scratch and dent sale.

Cheers.

TomW

« Last Edit: June 10, 2005, 12:07:47 AM by (unknown) »

jimjjnn

« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2005, 01:09:09 AM »
boB,

That is great that Outback is willing to admit to a fault and more than great at  taking care of a customer even out of warranty.

Outback just hit the top of my list for customer caring.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2005, 01:09:09 AM by (unknown) »

Seth

« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2005, 10:48:48 AM »

ok TomW ,,... i just read the reply's (he let me know about them on the IRC)... its sitting out in the feild .. under the solar pnnels ... ill call them/look up the number when iv got more time to do so.  once i seen the hole burned through the board.. i knew it was a board swap kind of senario .... and since iv quit the plant .. and took a 1/2 pay cut .. i didnt figure id have the money to do much of anything about it ... so it sat. and the c60 went back in .. good thing i didnt seel the thing ... !!!!! o/

Mind you .... i liked it ... did as was advertized .... it increased my pannels usable output by 90W ...of a 250W array that was putting out 150W (because of varrious reasons .. wire diameter, length of run .. you get the idea) to 240W ....

« Last Edit: June 11, 2005, 10:48:48 AM by (unknown) »

boB

• boB
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2005, 01:06:43 AM »
>>> i didnt figure id have the money to do much of anything about it ... so it sat. and the c60 went back in

Keeping the old PWM unit around for a spare or for diversion control is a great use for it...

Thanks for all the kind words too !

Back to the time-space continuum, already in progress.

boB

K7IQ

« Last Edit: June 12, 2005, 01:06:43 AM by (unknown) »

Seth

« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2005, 11:41:02 PM »
Did you say Mackie is the owner of Tapco .. ok cant rmemeber what it was .. but i work in a service center for em .....

KC7NOA

« Last Edit: June 13, 2005, 11:41:02 PM by (unknown) »

boB

• boB
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2005, 03:20:47 PM »
>>Did you say Mackie is the owner of Tapco

How about that !  I worked for TAPCO from 1974 till about 1977 or 1978.  Greg was one of the two owners and founders of that company.  Then he started Audio Control and then Mackie Designs after working at Carver Corp.

We still see each other once in a while.  He still owes me lunch for helping with an early Mackie mixer design...

boB

K7IQ    http://www.aes.org/sections/pnw/

« Last Edit: June 14, 2005, 03:20:47 PM by (unknown) »

Seth

« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2005, 11:12:43 PM »
o/  

ok sapose you cant get around the dead east west link that ties to the evergreen intertie?? on to K.A.B.A.R.A. ?? ( heard that john was asked to never again link the nws echolink to the one on 220 (kabara backbone) the "NG" node))))

Thought id say hello .. or 3.970 in the moring( ok sure the evenings are better for east to west Wa St propergation)   just thought id say hello over the radio ...

KC7NOA

« Last Edit: June 14, 2005, 11:12:43 PM by (unknown) »

Seth

« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2005, 08:46:31 PM »
OK folks .... just got off of the phone with Outback Power .... and who ever you were on the phone .. THANKS ....

It was verry much after hours .... i dont get off work till 6Pm and the drive home is almost 45 minits .... hard to call them in the morning they open at 8, im on the road usally  -- i open the shop where i work at ... our doors open at 9am ( 45 minit drive again pluss alittle to make sure im there to open) ...

They are sending me out a refurbished unit and when it gets here .. to send back my old/smokey/verry dead unit ..... end of story ....

Ill be glad to get a MPPT back on the system ... and get back to the original plan for the C-60 as a load dirvirsion  ---- to heat water  !!!! What else??

Im sure i got an early model .. and with all new products ... problems can be missed ... i understand all to well .... I work in a service center for more than a few large manufacturers ....

And i must admit .... we dont honor repairs/replacements with out some sort of receit or the manu's RMA##'s.   .... less they agree to pay our charges !!!!

Mike

KC7NOA

« Last Edit: July 08, 2005, 08:46:31 PM by (unknown) »