Author Topic: good info on batteries in series  (Read 874 times)

ibedonc

good info on batteries in series
« on: August 18, 2005, 04:04:11 AM »
this is about a electric car , but good info on maintaining batteries in series and circuits to equilize a bank of batteries

http://www.los-gatos.ca.us/davidbu/sparrow/s_diary.html

« Last Edit: August 18, 2005, 04:04:11 AM by (unknown) »

Volvo farmer

Re: good info on batteries in series
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2005, 05:42:55 AM »
This is sort of an off-topic "rant and opinion"  but I read that guys diary and it appears his battery bank lasted about 6000 miles. For an ordinary person, driving 10,000 miles a year or so, that would be unacceptable.

Another thing that bugs me is how he brags that his car has "zero emissions". Where I live, most of our electricity is provided from coal fired plants so anyone using an electric car here is just moving their emissions a couple hundred miles away. And how much embodied energy does a person use replacing hundreds of pounds of lead acid batteries every 6000 miles?

« Last Edit: August 18, 2005, 05:42:55 AM by (unknown) »
Less bark, more wag.

Norm

• Ohio's sharpest corner
Re: good info on batteries in series
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2005, 12:48:03 PM »
he brags that his car has "zero emissions".

You must have missed the parts where he started off with 2 solar panels that he was

partial charging his batteries...then toward the

end  I think he was totally charging his batteries... because mostly of lessened capacity...due to accidently overcharging....

which was why he only got 6000 miles on the first set....I think.....maybe I read it wrong.

( :>) Norm.  
« Last Edit: August 18, 2005, 12:48:03 PM by (unknown) »