Author Topic: controllers  (Read 1068 times)

windspeed

controllers
« on: February 03, 2008, 01:02:27 AM »

which controller would be most suitable for my 24 v 10 ft which I will try to keep max at 30 amps.

another question

the tristar 60 manual(which I have been looking at) says not to use an inverter as a diversion load why is this

thanks... windspeed

« Last Edit: February 03, 2008, 01:02:27 AM by (unknown) »

electronbaby

• Windsine.org
Re: controllers
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2008, 07:07:47 PM »
when the morningstar controller is set up correctly as a diversion load controller, you should use a "diversion load". This is usually an air or ceramic wound heating element sized correctly for your system requirements. It should consume, equal to or slightly greater, the amount of current your turbine "could possibly" deliver. Do not use light bulbs, as they commonly fail and your turbine over speeds and falls apart. Do not use an inverter as a diversion load, this will lead to other serious problems. If not done correctly, it could lead to turbine or controller damage. Possibly cause fire or other types of destruction.

The inverter AND the diversion load controller should both be wired to your battery bank. Other than common buss bars, they share no other common wiring and are usually programmed independently.

Im pretty sure the manual has a schematic.

« Last Edit: February 02, 2008, 07:07:47 PM by (unknown) »
Have Fun!!!  RoyR KB2UHF

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2008, 07:11:50 PM »
Your first question is about product recommendation - all I can say here is that I'm happy with my Xantrex C40 so far, and it will meet my needs for quite a while to come.

There are a couple of answers to your second question.  Basically, the diversion load is a "safety" system.  It must be as reliable as possible.  An inverter may be reliable, but it shuts itself down for its own reasons, leaving the windmill with no safety system.  Secondly, the inverter must be fed from the battery, a constant source of DC voltage.  The diversion circuit of a controller is a pulsed DC feed that is adjusted repeatedly as the windmill speeds up + slows down in response to the wind.  In this situation the inverter would not work properly - like it was being switched on and off hundreds of times per second.

A diversion load must be "stupid".  Most people use resistors or heating elements.  The charge controller will come with a manual that specifies what good diversion loads are.

« Last Edit: February 02, 2008, 07:11:50 PM by (unknown) »
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

windspeed

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2008, 03:41:46 PM »
thanks for that

I assumed you couldnt use an inverter with the tristar but I see now a direct connection to the batteries is fine........now I must ask which inverter

also what would be a good rule of thumb for sizing it
« Last Edit: February 03, 2008, 03:41:46 PM by (unknown) »