Author Topic: back in the air  (Read 1024 times)

windspeed

back in the air
« on: September 10, 2008, 10:23:56 PM »
just to let those that offered advice and sympathy on my recent meltdown know that the new stator is producing more power at lower windspeeds

and thanks to all especially flux who gave me plenty options for the rewind

I decided to go with the same turns 70 of 14 {1.6} wire but formed the coils in a trianglur shape, the advantage I think would be better spacing between the coils {better cooling} and the magnets crossing the legs at right angles

maybe this is not the reason I am getting better performance I dont know for sure

I still have an issue with control even though I cut and welded an extra 1/2 " into the pmg offset making it 5and1/4 " It was a bit tight here before

furling is better but at times it ouputs high into the 30 ies when I want to keep it around 25 amps {it is a Dans 10 ft by the way } I think the wind is fairly turbullent

here

If I shorten the tail or decrease the vane area would it allow the genny to overcome the force and furl completly

also if the tailvane was a circle what woud its diameter be

thank again for the good advice

Windspeed

« Last Edit: September 10, 2008, 10:23:56 PM by (unknown) »

TheCasualTraveler

Re: back in the air
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2008, 10:03:31 PM »
    Good to hear another success story. Your files don't say much about your machine. Have you got any pictures to share?
« Last Edit: September 10, 2008, 10:03:31 PM by (unknown) »

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2008, 01:38:46 AM »
If you are in turbulent wind you will have times when the furling gets caught out and you may see the occasional burst of high current. As long as these bursts are short it probably doesn't matter much.

If the high current is sustained then it would be wise to try to furl earlier. Effectively you need to reduce the tail moment, that is the weight at the centre of gravity x length. Reducing vane area or boom length will help but you also increase the angle it runs to the wind in normal operation. The only way to furl earlier without affecting this low wind orientation is to use a vane or boom of lighter material ( or change the hinge inclination, which you can't now do).

If you can't use lighter material then reducing the length of the vane is probably your best option, it likely has less effect on the low wind results than shortening the boom.

For steering ability versus weight a tall narrow vane is better than a long lean one and the tall narrow one also will bring the centre of gravity nearer the pivot for the same weight. I suppose a circle has the greatest area for a given weight but I am not sure it has a better steering effect than a tall short vane.

On a different issue I suspect that if you kept the same number of turns your triangular coils have less flux linkage than rectangular ones and it is equivalent to reducing turns or increasing gap, you are getting less open circuit volts and it is keeping you further from stall. If it is working well then you are on a winner.

Flux

« Last Edit: September 11, 2008, 01:38:46 AM by (unknown) »

windspeed

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2008, 06:01:03 PM »
thanks for that

can you comment on this

when I rewound my stator the coils were triangular and also longer so they came closer to the perimeter of the stator

I cut out triangles out of the center of the coils to help with cooling

it was only when I assembled the gen I noticed the cutouts were showing outside the perimeter of the rotors

I don't know what the airflow pattern is this side of the blades but it should help cooling and maybe can be extended further

Winspeed

« Last Edit: September 13, 2008, 06:01:03 PM by (unknown) »