Author Topic: Wind turbine controller?  (Read 2326 times)

Shadow

Wind turbine controller?
« on: July 27, 2009, 11:10:09 PM »
I'm getting ready to hoist my 110 volt DC Jacobs wind charger up and someone awhile back suggested a mppt charge controller to keep the power in check from 110 volt to the 48 volt battery bank.

The Jacobs is rated at 140 volt max, 110 volt at 20 amps, so that seems to fit the specs of this controller. Would I be wasting my money going this route? I realize non of these are made specifically for wind.  

http://www.altestore.com/store/Charge-Controllers/Solar-Charge-Controllers/MPPT-Solar-Charge-Control

lers/Xantrex-MPPT-Charge-Controllers/Xantrex-XW-Solar-Charge-Controller-MPPT-865-1030/p5946/

« Last Edit: July 27, 2009, 11:10:09 PM by (unknown) »

zeusmorg

Re: Wind turbine controller?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2009, 08:01:25 PM »
 I think that is a rather expensive option to do something that could be done much cheaper. That controller is really specifically built to get the most out of solar panels.

The Jacobs system is somewhat self regulating as it uses blade furling for rpm control. I see several ways to accomplish what you seek, the simplest would be a buck circuit.

You could also array your batteries for 96v on the wind turbine side and pull off 48 v (if that is what you need for your inverter) on the system side.

I'm sure you'll get a lot of better solutions from those more electrically knowledgeable than me for your solution.

« Last Edit: July 27, 2009, 08:01:25 PM by (unknown) »

wpowokal

• Far North Queensland (FNQ) Australia
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2009, 05:48:00 PM »
Depending on your wind conditions you could just connect it to the batteries it will cut in at around half designed speed. I don't have intimate knowledge of Jacobs turbines but I suspect it is built like a proverbial brick out house. The limiting factor is 20 amps, exceed that for long and excessive heating will result.

Then you could obtain a large resistance and connect it in line with batteries, wasteful but effective.

Connecting off part of a battery bank is a no go.

allan down under

« Last Edit: July 28, 2009, 05:48:00 PM by (unknown) »
A gentleman is man who can disagree without being disagreeable.

cardamon

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2009, 08:18:22 PM »
110vdc to 48vdc is a tough conversion to do (for those of us without much experience in power electronics).  I have always been curious about using a mx-60 or flex-max 80 (or something similar like the xantrex in the link you posted) for its dc-dc conversion capabilites.  The way I see it you would be using such a controller only for dc-dc conversion not for mppt since it is doubtful the solar algorithm would do much for the wind with its extreme variability and the inertia of the rotor.  I have never heard of anyone using one in this manner successfully, actually I have never heard of anyone using one in this manner at all- successfully or not.  As long as the controller doesnt open circuit the turbine and cause a damaging voltage spike, I really cant see why it would not work at the very least better than some convoluted inefficient conversion scheme.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2009, 08:18:22 PM by (unknown) »

Shadow

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2009, 09:51:24 PM »
Thanks for the vote of confidents,Cardamon.It might be an expensive lesson but I've pondered this for a few months and inquired all over and noone has any better solution. So I will probably order one and let everyone one know how it works.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2009, 09:51:24 PM by (unknown) »

cardamon

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2009, 06:45:26 AM »
you may want to go with an outback mx 60 or fm 60.  Check out this link http://www.outbackpower.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3419&p=22042&hilit=wind#p22042.  And if you give it a shot, please let us know how it works.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2009, 06:45:26 AM by (unknown) »

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2009, 10:18:54 AM »
Yes I agree with the others. The Jake will charge direct but the performance will not be good and you will be limited to 20A. It will almost certainly stall but you could use a series resistor if you can make use of the heat. With pitch control you won't loose control of it.

A buck converter will get you down to half volts but you are unlikely to find one other than as part of the MX60 type of controller. The converter bit will work fine but I suspect you will need to fool the programme to get it to do what you want. A solar algorithm won't suit the wind turbine. You just need to lock it to 2:1 step down.

You could build a buck converter but not an easy project at that voltage and power.

Flux

« Last Edit: July 29, 2009, 10:18:54 AM by (unknown) »

cardamon

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2009, 01:39:30 PM »
In the link I posted there was discussion about using an mx/fm for wind and there was somthing about it having a wind setting.  I was not clear on whether this is in all flexmaxs or was a special unit programmed for the ARE setup they had, and if the setpoints are user programmable.  It would be good to follow up on that, I am curious and will when I get some free time.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2009, 01:39:30 PM by (unknown) »

Chuck

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2009, 06:25:49 PM »
I have a similar Jake that is waiting for Midnight Solar to release the classic (boB, you there ?). Mine is a 3kw unit, but the specs are the same otherwise. I've been waiting a while, but every time a huge wind and/or thunderstorm comes up I'm not too disappointed that it's not up yet.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2009, 06:25:49 PM by (unknown) »