Author Topic: cool project : trying 2 power a laptop directly from PVCs  (Read 872 times)

bluefrog888

cool project : trying 2 power a laptop directly from PVCs
« on: July 05, 2004, 02:52:37 AM »
hey all

I'm an avid hiker/camper and often i find myself taking a break with my toshiba 5205-s705 media center laptop only to find myself in the middle of nowhere without any games tv music movies and worst of all no GPS because the darned thing lasts only 2 hours tops!

i'm trying to put some solar cells, taped right on the back of my screen and wired together to feed DC power directly into the notebook.  that way i could possibly just put the notebook into a transparent backpack compartment and have a freshly charged notebook when i set up camp, or better yet, sustain the notebook on solar power.

Because i already have enough to carry with my camping gear and food on my shoulders the posibility of having a     solar panel>inverter>adapter>notebook system is too clumsy.

my notebook normally has an input of 15v @ 5A and there's a surface aria of ~11.5"x11"

oh and I'd like to keep this project under $50

I have a basic knowledge of electronics so I'd like some second opinions before i fry my notebook so here's my Questions

should I wire the cells in parallel or in series?

what kind of resistors or any other protective electronics should i put in?

where can I buy some raw PV cells that are efficient and cheap? (radio shack is ripping 5x3 cells for 7.50!)

what else should i know before i start?

any help would be greatly appreciated

thanx = )

« Last Edit: July 05, 2004, 02:52:37 AM by (unknown) »