Author Topic: Polarizing a car generator  (Read 1515 times)

(unknown)

Polarizing a car generator
« on: October 24, 2004, 03:05:26 PM »
(blank)
« Last Edit: October 24, 2004, 03:05:26 PM by (unknown) »

K3CZ

Re: Polarizing a car generator
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2004, 04:53:45 PM »
If my memory serves me OK, the procedure is really dead simple.  (I did it the first time on my '41 Chrysler sedan after I had installed a WWII Dodge army truck 6volt generator on it(same ratings).  Procedure is to momentarily connect a solid plus 6vdc from the field terminal to ground (minus).(It does not have to be rotating or installed in the vehicle.)  Earlier in the Ford family era, they were Positive ground, but that went out with the switch to 12 volts, well before your 61 Lincoln. This left just about everything built after that with a negative ground except for some certain brands of industrial equipment.

K3CZ
« Last Edit: October 24, 2004, 04:53:45 PM by (unknown) »

ElectricJim

Re: Polarizing a car generator
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2004, 02:28:22 AM »
Hi there, yes a car "Generator" can be repolarized, this means to swap the polarity of the output. In these "old" generators there was a two pole setup. the Pole shoes have copper wire wound around them, these have a variable current applied via a mechanical voltage regulator setup. But the short answer is to

1/ Make sure that there is NO POSITAVE earth equipment attatched to the circuit.

2/ make sure the battery is earthed to the NEGative (-)

3/ "flash" over the generator, just hold the positave lead and touch it to the  

(F)connector on the generator, do it 3 or 4 times just to make sure.

(F) is for "field coils" it should go like a zittt sound

4/ Start the engine and get the generator turning, if you have an "Amp" gauge

there, it should show a gentle charge

The same thing can be done via the Current and Voltage regulator, but leave that to a Auto Electrician as welding to the current breaker cutout coil could take place.

30 years ago I was asked by an old boss to install a Jap radio into a english MG, the radio went Zitt and the smoke cameout and it needed to be repaired, so be warned

« Last Edit: October 31, 2004, 02:28:22 AM by (unknown) »