Author Topic: Fuses and Breakers  (Read 876 times)

Peppyy

Fuses and Breakers
« on: June 04, 2005, 01:55:23 PM »
link

Has anyone tried these? My inverter suggests a 200 amp fuse. These would be ideal if they do what they are supposed to. It would also serve as a disconnect.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2005, 01:55:23 PM by (unknown) »

wpowokal

• Far North Queensland (FNQ) Australia
Re: Fuses and Breakers
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2005, 08:14:17 AM »
Maybe, a couple of things to concider here,

(a) inverters have a rated overload for starting, a HRC fuse motor start rated allows for significant overcurrent briefly.

(b) I do not know what over current verses time these MCB"S allow for, that is for currents in excess of 200 amps how long (seconds) before they trip?

For my money despite their cost, HRC fuses are value for money. For a fuse at recomended rating motor start rated they should basically never blow unless a serious overcurrent occures.

Bottom line you need to look at the over current rating V time to evaluate there usefullness to inverters.

regards Allan from upside down world

« Last Edit: June 04, 2005, 08:14:17 AM by (unknown) »
A gentleman is man who can disagree without being disagreeable.

Peppyy

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2005, 09:07:30 PM »
Thanks. I looked at my manual again and it looks as if that would work fine so I bought one and I will let evetyone know how it works.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2005, 09:07:30 PM by (unknown) »

Tom in NH

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2005, 10:59:42 PM »
Since you already got one, this thought is a little late, but I was thinking you might ask the seller how large a wire the terminals can handle. That would be a give away as to its suitability. If you're calling on 200 amps, you probably should be looking at single or double 0 cable. Using anything smaller, you run the risk of melting the cable (and all of the associated fire hazards) before the circuit breaker trips.

--Tom
« Last Edit: June 05, 2005, 10:59:42 PM by (unknown) »