Author Topic: windmill wire  (Read 860 times)

go4it

windmill wire
« on: July 27, 2005, 03:04:35 PM »
I have just completed a windmill based on hugh's plans. It is 12V (5 Phase) and I want to be able to switch it off from the bottom when it is left unattended for long periods.  Can I run the 5 positive wires from the rectifiers down the tower and put individual switches back to the ground to shut down in stages so as not to damage anything with an instant shutdown.  I may want to shut down in windy conditions so if this won't work are there any other ideas?

« Last Edit: July 27, 2005, 03:04:35 PM by (unknown) »

Nando

Re: windmill wire
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2005, 09:42:01 AM »
5 phases ????

Please define the 5 phases, how did you build the 5 phases, in detail, I am asking because I believe you did not make a 5 phase alternator, it is quite complicated ?.

Nando

« Last Edit: July 27, 2005, 09:42:01 AM by (unknown) »

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2005, 10:02:01 AM »
No you can't short the bridge positives to ground as they are connected to the battery. You would need blocking diodes in each and that is not very practical.

Hugh has a scheme for one blocking diode that is normally shorted by one pole of a switch in the positive line and the other pole shorts the rectifier before the blocking diode, but that shorts the whole dc line not progressively as you desire.

If you want progressive braking you could bring down several of the rectifier ac connections and progressively short these and perhaps finally use Hugh's switch to short the whole dc output as a final precaution.

If you have a reasonable cable resistance I suspect a direct short is ok as long as you can find a switch to handle it. You could include a 1 ohm resistor or something and short that later to reduce the thump.

Flux

« Last Edit: July 27, 2005, 10:02:01 AM by (unknown) »

GeeWiz

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2005, 12:18:01 AM »
I too have a windmill based on Hugh's design almost ready to go up the tower.

I've been searching the site for Wire info, as in what type of wire are people using for the Windmill to battery connection ?

I've got a 40' tower, and about 100' to the battery bank.  I'm running 12v and I know I'm going to have some loss, but it will only be when it's really windy.

I was thinking of running maybe 2 strands of 8 Guage, or may 6 Gauge battery cable.  These all seem expensive.

Any thoughts on the best way to handle this ?

Thanks,

Gw

« Last Edit: August 11, 2005, 12:18:01 AM by (unknown) »