Author Topic: Reclaimed battery as shunt load.  (Read 894 times)

seanchan00

Reclaimed battery as shunt load.
« on: October 10, 2005, 11:27:00 PM »
Can I use an old reclaimed battery (being desulphated back to life) as one of the loads for my shunt regulator? There is a charge from the battery. Will the charge from the load battery affect the function of the shunt regulator?

SeanChan.

« Last Edit: October 10, 2005, 11:27:00 PM by (unknown) »

Nando

Re: Reclaimed battery as shunt load.
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2005, 06:55:10 PM »
Please, repeat your question in different form, it is not clear what you want to do.

Nando

« Last Edit: October 10, 2005, 06:55:10 PM by (unknown) »

PRedATor

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2005, 09:04:59 PM »
I am pretty sure Sean wants to use the battery as a dump load from the regulator.

Thats the way I read it anyway.

The only thing is, is when this battery is fully charged, what to do then.

rich

« Last Edit: October 10, 2005, 09:04:59 PM by (unknown) »

seanchan00

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2005, 09:39:40 PM »
Normally tail lights, reisitors, heaters, fans, etc are used as load for the shunt regulator. All these have no resident charge. My question is if a battery is also added to all the dump loads in parallel will the charge in the battery reverse back to the regulator and maybe affect the function of the regulator.

SeanChan.

« Last Edit: October 10, 2005, 09:39:40 PM by (unknown) »

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2005, 01:26:55 AM »
I think there could be problems. Firstly, if the second battery is low you may exceed the current rating of the fet, it is not a defined load like a resistor.

Also when the second battery is fully charged there may not be enough drop in voltage to reset the comparitor. If I have got it right this means no pulse to turn on the 555. I think the 555 is connected as a monostable and if so there will be no signal to fire the gate of the fet and it will stay turned off until the wind drops and the comparitor regains control.

If you want to charge this second battery I think you would be better off with a controller using a relay and with hysteresis across the comparitor (Hugh's circuit would do if you have the book). You could use this as a first stage diversion and when this battery is fully charged your main diversion control would come in as normal.

Flux

« Last Edit: October 11, 2005, 01:26:55 AM by (unknown) »