Author Topic: coil/relay question  (Read 872 times)

phil b

coil/relay question
« on: April 21, 2006, 04:31:19 PM »
Instead of changing from star to delta in heavy winds, is it possible to

use a circuit like this one on a 3 phase,4 rotor/2 stator type machine?

Coil group 1 (1st phase)would be on the first stator and coil group 2 (1st phase)would be syncronized with group 1 on the second stator.

When coil group 1 reaches, say 50 volts on a 48V machine, then the second coil group on stator 2 would conduct to increase the current and tend to keep the machine a little slower and generate more power. The Crydon DLD series SSR has an adjustable time delay circuit built in. That should keep the electronic chatter down when the rpms are in transition.

A second and third circuit could be used for the additional phases at slightly higher voltages than the first.

Will this work? Do I have the correct components ahead of the SSR? Some components like caps and diodes are probably drawn backwards, I hope you get the idea. Sorry, I'm not very good at resizing photos.

Phil

« Last Edit: April 21, 2006, 04:31:19 PM by (unknown) »
Phil

phil b

Re: coil/relay question
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2006, 11:24:02 AM »

« Last Edit: April 21, 2006, 11:24:02 AM by (unknown) »
Phil

drdongle

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2006, 05:30:49 PM »
I believe that your basic idea is sound but will need some refinement to work.

If your planning to use a 48 volt battery bank then I'd recommend that your generator/alternator put out at least 56 volts, maybe even 60 before it switches in the second set of coils. This gives you a "safe zone" should the machine slow down as a result of the increased load.

Be aware that these are general guide lines and your results may vary.

just my $.02
« Last Edit: April 21, 2006, 05:30:49 PM by (unknown) »

Ungrounded Lightning Rod

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2006, 06:17:57 PM »
If you don't want to waste power you WANT your mill to speed up with the increased wind speed.  Delta-Wye switching will do a better job of that than a second rotor or set of windings.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2006, 06:17:57 PM by (unknown) »