Author Topic: single phase using star question ?  (Read 861 times)

(unknown)

single phase using star question ?
« on: June 12, 2006, 02:35:00 PM »
hello all !

i,m wondering about a possible wiring idea for a single phase stator ,its a 7 coil stator with 14 mags (odd i know ! lets just say it evolved that way !) each coil

has 150 turns and when i parallel the 7 coils into a bridge rectifier its usable (i hope) to charge my bat ,this will save running 14 wires down the mast to 7 individual bridge rectifiers ....would it be better to treat the 7 coils like a "three phase" system ,each coil would have one leg connected to a centre tap , the other leg would pass to 2 diodes (like in a 3 phase rectifier)...would the currents should now add up ? 2 diodes should also have half the voltage drop of the bridge type ?....my arm got sore spinning the thing so a little extra voltage would help!    

« Last Edit: June 12, 2006, 02:35:00 PM by (unknown) »

kitno455

Re: single phase using star question ?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2006, 09:34:32 AM »
uhm- this sounds weird, need more info- is it a dual rotor with 7 mags on each side, or is it a single rotor with 14 mags on one disk? how does the stator to magnet spacing work out? do you have a N mag over one side of the coil at the same moment you have a S mag over the other side?

allan

« Last Edit: June 12, 2006, 09:34:32 AM by (unknown) »

Ungrounded Lightning Rod

• SuperHero Member
Re: single phase using star question ?
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2006, 10:36:05 AM »
I presume you mean 14 mags on each side.

Would work.

Single-phase causes a bunch of vibration in the mill.  The load on the shaft is essentially proportional to the sum of the currents in the coils.  With polyphase that's close to constant, while with single phase it's close to the absolute value of a sinusoid - or whatever waveform your output takes.  The same form as the shaking of a magnetic-buzzer type vibrator.

These vibrations can cause things to work lose or material to fatigue.  And they make noise.  You also get less power out for a given amount of copper wiring.  So while single phase works, polyphase works better.  (Three phases is optimum for power/copper ratio.)

« Last Edit: June 12, 2006, 10:36:05 AM by (unknown) »