Author Topic: Trace Not Charging  (Read 864 times)

(unknown)

Trace Not Charging
« on: October 14, 2006, 01:45:02 AM »
First of all, I apologize if I am reposting this query....

I bought a Trace 1000 watt inverter/charger that does not appear to charge my batteries using my 6kw Honda/Dewalt generator. It charges fine on utility power but will not 'lock-on' from the generator. There is a relay that continually clicks and a cooling fan that tries to run with the relay. On utility power the relay clicks once, the fan comes on and charge voltage jumps to over 15 volts.

The batteries are at 12.4 volts so they are not too low for the Trace unit. I even bought two new batteries just to prove it wasn't the old ones. Also, I the Trace charger has an internal jumper for either utility power or gen power - I've tried both positions with no charge in either. I've tried both the 'Charger' and 'Search' positions on the front panel.

I don't get an alarm indicator and the yellow charge light blinks at the one second interval with a quick double blink every few seconds. It blinks so soon that the first blink hasn't completely gone out.

I disconnected my charge controller from my array just in case that was interfering. Still no charge.

I recorded the peaks on the generator - 123.6v low: 129.6v high. The frequency was a solid 60 hertz.

I hope this is enough info for someone to recognize something amiss. Thanks in advance.

Joe

« Last Edit: October 14, 2006, 01:45:02 AM by (unknown) »

sPuDd

Re: Trace Not Charging
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2006, 08:32:19 PM »
I have a Honda clone 5kW generator, and I never run it without

at least one 500W halogen work light on it at all times. When

the loads are minimal I add two lights - 1000W. This makes the

whole unit behave, keeps the voltage and frequency within the

accepted limits of my inverters/UPS and other sensitive items.

« Last Edit: October 13, 2006, 08:32:19 PM by (unknown) »

altosack

Re: Trace Not Charging
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2006, 09:02:58 PM »
Hi Joe,

I've never used a Trace inverter, so I don't know if it will be the same, but with an Outback, you can adjust the tolerance that it will accept from the grid, both in frequency and voltage, before it will lock on.

By default, the generator settings are pretty loose, so I've never had to adjust these, but on one that I installed I had to adjust it to allow it to lock onto the grid.

Maybe peruse your manual and see if it has any settings like this.

Dave

« Last Edit: October 13, 2006, 09:02:58 PM by (unknown) »