Author Topic: Cheap Inverters  (Read 1793 times)

(unknown)

Cheap Inverters
« on: November 02, 2006, 02:58:20 AM »
I looked at a website that sells 24v inverter/chargers for much less than, say, the Trace/Xantrex units. And they have a higher output rating.

Has anyone had any good or bad luck with the 'unknowns'?

Joe

« Last Edit: November 02, 2006, 02:58:20 AM by (unknown) »

scottsAI

Re: Cheap Inverters
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2006, 08:14:15 PM »
Hello jfh52,

APC 1000w UPS for less than $40. Use 24v.

APC 3000w UPS for $120, 48v, both sin output, and used.

Efficiency is lower than a quality sin inverter, like 30% less.

Can be grid connected, has battery charger, with automatic transfer switch.

Both can be started without line power.

Such a great deal!?

Have fun,

Scott.

« Last Edit: November 01, 2006, 08:14:15 PM by (unknown) »

wpowokal

• Far North Queensland (FNQ) Australia
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2006, 09:55:11 PM »
Joe, depends what you are planning to use it for, most cheep inverters IMHO are not made for 24/7 use, have lower surge ratings, list short term watts then in small print the continuious rating.

I have a cheep modified sine wave that I use for many odd jobs in the field, but a good quality pure sine wave for the serious work. They generally lack the efficiency of quality units, ask if they can be repaired or are you prepared to throw it if it stops.

allan down under

« Last Edit: November 01, 2006, 09:55:11 PM by (unknown) »
A gentleman is man who can disagree without being disagreeable.

nothing to lose

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2006, 12:36:31 AM »
" Are Imports Any Good "

Yes they are great, people in CHINA should import everything they can from USA,  We make great stuff!! Well we do if you actually find something still made here :(

I love my Aims 5,000 watt inverter, it has 10,000 watts surge it says.  I never pushed it that hard yet and probably never will. It's a 12V unit and I abushed it alot, still works perfect. Abused I mean bad weather mobile, dropped it in the yard hard one night etc.. Most likely it's China made but I am not certain at the moment.

It's like anything else sometimes. Sometimes you win sometimes you lose. I have 2 Xantrex power booster car jumpers with aircompressor and 400watt inverters, loved those things, very handy. Both my inverters in them are bad now and the aircompressors broke in both. Still I will probably buy another one unless I find a different brand of same thing.

Xantrex is supposed to be so good but the 400watts are dead, or at least have problems they won't work.

As ScottIA mentioned, APC UPS, used cheap! I have a $500 Matrix 5,000, a 3,750watt sinewave unit for backup on half my house. I have a second one for a spare, right now not useing it. Those eat 135watts no load when run on the batteries. Some testing showed they seem to have that loss but perhaps under loads they do not have much or any additonal losses. 48V units.

I have several 1000 watt APC sinewave UPS units also, never tested those for losses but I expect alot less. All 24V units.

Also have a Rackmount 2200?? a 1750watt sinewave unit, also 24V.

I have more inverter stuff now than I have batteries to run them.

Always good to have a spare incase something goes wrong.

« Last Edit: November 02, 2006, 12:36:31 AM by (unknown) »

DANO

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2006, 08:23:45 AM »
I've been using the Vector models...two 800 watt units and two 750 watt units for intermitant use with no problems, but as stated above, they'd no doubt fry using 24/7....modified sine wave...intend to pick up one of thier 2500 watt units via the

Home Depot web site
« Last Edit: November 02, 2006, 08:23:45 AM by (unknown) »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2006, 09:27:58 AM »
I like the Vectors too, as far as pretty cheap goes. Quite efficient for their class.

The models with fans will OFTEN hold up 24/7 for a long time, not always.

I know of many 400W Verctors running 8 to 12 hours a day for several years, but loaded less than 50% average.

All Vectors are NOT the same.  If they are Grey, or have a part number beginning with "POB" (Power On Board- at Sam's, Target, etc), they are just not very good.  

Look for the better Red ones with a part number beginning with "VEC".

Next step up IMHO is the Portawattz brand.

G-

« Last Edit: November 02, 2006, 09:27:58 AM by (unknown) »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

Waterlogged

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2006, 12:12:23 PM »
I have a (Galaxy brand) inverter rated 1000 watts continous, and 2000 surge, I have had it for about 7 years, (paid about USD $400), and the only time I had a problem with it, was when I ran the 1050 watt microwave for popcorn, and then tried to watch a DVD on the laptop, with out the generator running. It made a magic cloud when one of the big capacitors exploded. It burnt a hole through the board. There were several of them on the board, so I could read the specs. I bought a new capacitor, and tried bridging the missing traces. When I turned it on, one of these bridges immediatly caught on fire. I quickly turned it off. I thought about it for a few seconds, turned it back on and followed the orange wire to the problem. Then I cut that bridge out and after that, it was fine. I now have two instead of one size 8D batteries for the inverter. It can run the microwave now without the generator. Although it has all the normal protection, it seems that full load without full voltage can cause a problem. I try not to push it too hard, now. I also have another chinese import that I don't use much, because the fan runs continuously. The Galaxy runs the fan only when the load is over about 500 watts.  The new one was USD $130. Overall, I would have to say I am satisfied with them.

Keep in mind, you get what you pay for. I would not count on them for life support, or where reliable power is required for safety.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2006, 12:12:23 PM by (unknown) »

(unknown)

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2006, 12:30:34 PM »
Well thanks to everyone for their comments. I just can't afford the Xantrex DR1524 that I want right now so your help is very much appreciated.

Inverter/chargers are heavy and I would need mine shipped to Hawaii - expensive. The Vector 400w I had died after 3 months of occasional use in my truck. I'll exchange at Home Depot. I still need the 24v charge option for the battery bank or I rewire to 12v and buy an automotive charger.

Again, thanks everyone.

Joe

« Last Edit: November 02, 2006, 12:30:34 PM by (unknown) »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2006, 01:07:48 PM »
Wheel chair and scooter chargers are often 24V.

Military chargers are sometimes 24V. Good quality, much higher efficiency, better contolled, various amp outputs, and maybe very cheap in that area.

I got one from a 'Jeep & Tank' outfit online, Mil Spec, 24V, 10A? $20? New in Box. Ran it from a (the same) 12V 400W Vector for several years with just 1 blown fuse, until the owner... uh... "no longer needed it".

G-

« Last Edit: November 02, 2006, 01:07:48 PM by (unknown) »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2006, 02:41:30 PM »
I figure there will be questions about that setup.  Here are the answers.

Grid was not an option.

Money was a major problem, #1.

And 40W of solar would do it, but 40W of 24V solar isn't that cost effective in a small system.

A 12V system could also be used for other things, in a very cost effective fashion.

A solar panel works when the sun is up, the same time when a wheel chair is used...

meaning the wheel chair could be charged during the day and used at night...

or a second, expensive, 24V battery was needed...

leading to a rare small 24V inverter (see #1) for cordless tools, etc. if the system could be used for other common purposes.

The complete system (50W PV, controller, 2 inverters, charger, rack, wire, fuses, battery tester, screws, etc), less the 12V storage battery which he had,

and IIRC it was Installed... for US$550.  Try that with 24V!

Ahh, 'The Good Old Days'.

I will miss Dan J.P. Miller.  He was my friend.

G-

« Last Edit: November 02, 2006, 02:41:30 PM by (unknown) »

(unknown)

Subject Change - Maybe I Don't need 24v
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2006, 10:44:30 PM »
Here's my setup. I have two 30v/116w Unisolar panels hooked to 4 Interstate 6v batteries all in series. I am running a Triplite 1000w/12v inveerter for a few lights and my laptop. Every couple of days I move the 12 volt inverter connection to a different 'pair' of batteries so I can equalize the charge/discharge. There is also a small 12 volt water pump that works my shower. Oh yeah, I have a C40 Xantrex charge controller.

Now my new question - should I rewire my batteries to series/parellel and just get a 12 volt automotive charger for the 'cloudy' days that seem to, at present, be all time here in Hawaii?

As always, thanks.

Joe

« Last Edit: November 02, 2006, 10:44:30 PM by (unknown) »