Author Topic: Separate AC inputs  (Read 877 times)

mettleramiel

Separate AC inputs
« on: December 19, 2006, 03:13:49 PM »
Once I get my RE system running, I would like to have a couple electronics that I can switch between RE and the grid. I live in an apartment, so I can't change any of the incoming electricity, what I am looking for is a splitter that would accept 2 separate inputs (home outlet and inverter) and have only one output with a switch to choose which one. I know that I could simply plug the devices in myself, but I know that my wife would look at it like too much trouble to reach behind one of the bookshelves and would just use the grid power instead. Thanks guys!
« Last Edit: December 19, 2006, 03:13:49 PM by (unknown) »

Slingshot

Re: Separate AC inputs
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2006, 08:57:23 AM »
You need a break-before-make DPDT switch.  The common "two-way" switch setup that, for example, controls a single hallway light from a switch at each end, is a SPDT break-before-make.  You might gang two of these (one in each leg) to cheaply rig what you're needing.  
« Last Edit: December 19, 2006, 08:57:23 AM by (unknown) »

tony t

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2006, 09:57:44 AM »
In the uk we would use a changeover switch rated at the max current the electricity company  fuses down to.

Normally 230 volt 100 amp single phase supply.

but also 80 and 60 amp supplies are available.

regards

tony

« Last Edit: December 19, 2006, 09:57:44 AM by (unknown) »

jonas302

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2006, 08:09:16 PM »
Hi a simple 3 dollar DPDT would work just fine the lamp would be on the two center terminals the inverter would be on one outside set the other two would plug into the wall tie all the grounds together if using them

It also occured to me a simple automatic system could be made using a 120 volt DPDT relay the coil would be plugged into the inverter the switching terminals would be hooked up similar with line voltage being on until the inverter kicked in moving the contacts to inverter power would be a very simple and cheap system

hope that helps let me know if you need any other ideas
« Last Edit: December 21, 2006, 08:09:16 PM by (unknown) »