Author Topic: Transfer Switch Failure  (Read 911 times)

Bigbear

Transfer Switch Failure
« on: March 29, 2007, 10:43:16 AM »
A few months ago I purchased the Aims transfer switch, and everything seemed fine.  Last night I started the generator as there was little sun or wind yesterday, and when the generator started, I heard a popping noise behind me.  When I turned around there was also sparks and smoke coming from the Aims transfer switch.  I shut off the generator, and unpluged the line that feeds the transfer switch from the generator, and left the battery charger still plugged in.  Re-fired the genny and everything still works.  I really like the transfer switch, we had all the power we needed in the house, and got 100% charge to the batteries.  Any ideas as to what may have happened?  BEAR
« Last Edit: March 29, 2007, 10:43:16 AM by (unknown) »

wpowokal

• Far North Queensland (FNQ) Australia
Re: Transfer Switch Failure
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2007, 05:49:15 PM »
Bear, popping I associate with electrolitic capacitors failing, smoke also possibly from them, sparks ?. So sounds like a control board failure to me, could be anything from moisture, rodent pee, regulated supply to control board, to simple component failure.

Since you indicate it has functioned well for some months we can rule out incorrect connection.

allan down under

« Last Edit: March 29, 2007, 05:49:15 PM by (unknown) »
A gentleman is man who can disagree without being disagreeable.