Author Topic: Hard start kit for chest freezer  (Read 12190 times)

josephcrawley

Hard start kit for chest freezer
« on: April 27, 2007, 06:12:29 PM »
Can I add a hard start kit to my freezer compressor that is giving me start troulbe when my batteries fall below 12.8 volts?

The compressor does not have a start compressor on it now.

thanks

Joseph

« Last Edit: April 27, 2007, 06:12:29 PM by (unknown) »

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
Re: Hard start kit for chest freezer
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2007, 12:46:35 PM »
Single phase fridges are inherently difficult to start for several reasons.

For cheapness they usually use a split phase starting circuit as it is cheaper than a capacitor start motor. There is also a problem that if the start is not virtually instantaneous the compressor builds up pressure before the motor pulls into the torque curve and it will remain stalled.

On a stiff mains supply there is no problem but with any source with significant impedance the highly inductive load drags the supply volts down and it fails to start.

Even small fridges will sometimes flatten a 3kVA alternator.

With alternators it is usually possible to just add a power factor correction capacitor across the line. In extreme cases you may have to add a permanent correction and also switch in a larger capacitor to correct the pf during start when it is much lower than the run.

The same trick usually works perfectly well with sine wave inverters. For MSW inverters you may run into serious trouble, the instantaneous voltage rise makes them very unhappy to accept any form of capacitive load and you may end up with a pile of smoke.

There is some possibility that adding a start capacitor in series with the start winding will make the thing approximate to a capacitor start motor (the winding is wrong for this to be totally successful but it may help considerably)

The inverter will not object to this capacitor as it will be in a series resonant circuit and look more or less resistive. What the harmonics will do is not possible to predict. ( if you hit a harmonic crawl it will never start)

If you are prepared to risk the inverter then you may be lucky. Few of these MSW inverters have totally foolproof protection so you risk taking out the mosfets.

You may be able to add a starting capacitor and a small correction capacitor across the line ( bigger MSW inverters may stand a few uF perhaps up to 8uF).

If you are nearly there now I would suggest that you try adding a starting capacitor in series with the start winding ( it will only be in during starting and will come out when the starting relay or switch operates).

I assume you have a 110v fridge so I can offer no suggestion of values ( our mains is 240V 50hz).

I think Nando is your best source of knowledge unless someone else has tried it on a 110v fridge.

If I had to make a guess, try 15 uf and work upwards. You need to aim for the highest voltage on the start winding ( resonance). If it doesn't start in half a second wait a couple of minutes for the pressure to drop before you try again

Flux

« Last Edit: April 27, 2007, 12:46:35 PM by (unknown) »

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2007, 12:58:16 PM »
If your true limitation is only a trip on low volts then a whopping capacitor directly on the inverter input terminals may be a great help ( 50,000 uF or more).

If the trouble is actual inverter overload and not low volt trip then it will not help at all.

The truth is that MSW inverters are totally unsuited to motor loads. Many get away with murder, others come unstuck. The less you know and the more faith you have the more likely you are to succeed. I know I am defeated before I start and keep away from such problems ( I remember the old definition of an inverter from my work days " a short circuit waiting to happen" ). Good sine wave ones can be reasonably protected, cheap MSW are fine as long as you never ask them to exceed their maximum ratings for more than a few mS. Motor starting doesn't come within their short term ratings.

Flux

« Last Edit: April 27, 2007, 12:58:16 PM by (unknown) »

josephcrawley

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2007, 01:21:59 PM »
http://www.repairclinic.com/0081.asp?RccPartID=965240&Acc=1

This is the item I have found but after reading about it having a run capacitor(which I do) can complicate things. Anyone with experience with these things?

thanks

Joseph

« Last Edit: April 27, 2007, 01:21:59 PM by (unknown) »

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2007, 01:28:34 PM »
I will leave discussion to those familiar with N.American fridges. That claims to have a relay but it doesn't say if the capacitor is for starting or pfc. the values will be significantly different.

Flux

« Last Edit: April 27, 2007, 01:28:34 PM by (unknown) »

AbyssUnderground

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2007, 02:25:04 PM »
The inverter shouldnt shut off till 10.5v, not 12.8v. 12.8v is a fully charged 12v battery so something is wrong...
« Last Edit: April 27, 2007, 02:25:04 PM by (unknown) »

Nando

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2007, 03:48:16 PM »
Joseph:

Where are you located.

Also the refrigerator voltage and current, and/or watts.

We are now doing the last leg of a testing to reduce the starting current of small refrigerators.

This testing is for 115 volts 50 or 60 HZ units, the testing is being done in Brazil.

Most refrigerators doe not have a starting capacitor to reduce the initial current.

The starting current is the locked motor current which presents a PF (Power Factor) of less than 0.4 then the initial revving up of the motor , the first current is around 10 to 12 times the running current, the second current is around 8 to 10 times the running current.

For around 100 running watts the starting capacitor is 80 to 100 microfarads and one can be inserted by cutting the jumper wire that the current relay has that connects the starting phasing winding and connecting the capacitor in place of the jumper wire..

This may reduce the current to around 6 to 7 amps.

In addition, one can add a 16 microfarads capacitor across the inputs of the motor to improve the running PF of the motor , from about 1.1 amps to about 0.75 amps.

The last test toperform is the addition of a starting capacitor connected in parallel with the motor and a series inductance with the power line to reduce the starting current to about 4 or so amps ( these two items are momentary and triggered by the starting current relay of the refrigerator) and done using a couple of solid state relays for long life free maintenance.

This last item may take around 2 weeks to test due to the availability of the parts.

I am inserting the basic diagram of the refrigerator ( Geladeira in Portuguese) showing the current relay and the jumper wire.

Nando

« Last Edit: April 27, 2007, 03:48:16 PM by (unknown) »

josephcrawley

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2007, 11:40:16 AM »
If the batteries are below 12.8 when the compressor tries to start the voltage(as tested by a multimeter) falls below 10.5 then the inverter shuts down and the voltage goes back to normal.

Joseph

« Last Edit: May 03, 2007, 11:40:16 AM by (unknown) »

josephcrawley

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2007, 11:44:13 AM »
I'm in the US. The frig uses about 15 amps at 12 volt, so 180 watts. The surge is very high somewhere over 60 amps at 12v.

thanks

Joseph

« Last Edit: May 03, 2007, 11:44:13 AM by (unknown) »

willib

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2007, 01:09:13 PM »
yeah some supercaps will handle the momentary surge

no problem

my two banks of six easily handled 186 A , to start my car
« Last Edit: May 03, 2007, 01:09:13 PM by (unknown) »
Carpe Ventum (Seize the Wind)