has anyone used auto alternator diode pack in a 10 ft

will 12 volts pack work at 24 volts

windspeed

« Last Edit: July 14, 2007, 11:29:24 PM by (unknown) »

scottsAI

Re: diodes
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2007, 12:49:12 AM »
Hello elt,

Most diodes in alt are rated for 40v or more.

Beware some manufactures designs their diodes to behave like a zener right around 40v for load dump protection.

During furling operation the PMA may be outputting 4-5 time battery voltage, exceeding the voltage rating of the diodes.

Have fun,

Scott.

« Last Edit: July 15, 2007, 12:49:12 AM by (unknown) »

finnsawyer

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2007, 08:49:03 AM »
I checked a diode pack from a Delco alternator one time and found that the reverse breakdown voltage was at least 120 volts.  So, such a diode pack should work fine at 24 volts.  You can do it yourself if you can get hold of an oscilloscope.  A variac also helps.  You also need an isolation transformer and a suitable resistor.  Connect the variac to 120 volts ac, and the variable ac output to the primary of the 1:1 isolation transformer.  Take the output of the isolation transformer and connect in series with the resistor and the diode under test.  Put the scope in X-Y mode and connect the scope ground to the point where the resistor and diode join.  Connect one input across the diode and the other across the resistor.  Start with the variac output at zero and work your way up.  You should be able to ascertain whether reverse breakdown will occur at too low a voltage.  The isolation transformer is there to avoid grounding problems.  If this all Greek to you, then get yourself a book on circuit theory and read, read, read....    
« Last Edit: July 15, 2007, 08:49:03 AM by (unknown) »

DanB

• Global Moderator
  • SuperHero Member
    • otherpower.com
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2007, 10:02:11 AM »
One trouble to keep in mind with those =- they have very small heat sinks and require that a lot of air be blown past them.  I've used them for testing and they don't last long at all even at half their rated current without a significant fan.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2007, 10:02:11 AM by (unknown) »
If I ever figure out what's in the box then maybe I can think outside of it.

Nando

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2007, 03:16:42 PM »
The alternator diodes, used to be at least 400 volts breakdown, recently they may have reduce the breakdown for lower price manufacturing.

You need a good heat sink and the proper way to insert them for good thermal contact and a blower is what I suggest with at least 300 LFPM ( linear feet per minute).

There are two versions, one is N case and the other is P case,

Nando

« Last Edit: July 15, 2007, 03:16:42 PM by (unknown) »

windspeed

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2007, 04:16:01 PM »
thanks for the info, I suppose these diodes work under controlled voltages unlike what occurs in a pmg machine, the older ones look much heftier and might take the heat better

thanks again...Windspeed
« Last Edit: July 16, 2007, 04:16:01 PM by (unknown) »