Author Topic: Air-X Controller  (Read 1226 times)

windyman

Air-X Controller
« on: August 30, 2007, 07:26:47 PM »
I am wondering how to make a similar controller to the air x.  I understand that in shutdown mode it shorts the outputs.  But what about in stall mode??  I'm not quite sure what it is doing then.  Any ideas??

Moved to the proper section.

« Last Edit: August 30, 2007, 07:26:47 PM by (unknown) »

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
Re: Air-X Controller
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2007, 02:11:00 PM »
I am not exactly sure what goes on with the airX, but I believe that when it exceeds a certain speed the winding is shorted. As the wind speed increases then it is shorted more often so that the speed is prevented from rising and making that crazy noise.

This means that it does not produce its claimed power in any wind high enough to induce this speed limiting. I also believe it regulates in the same way and when the battery voltage exceeds a set point it brakes, just like a bang-bang solar charge control.

I am not sure whether there is any form of mppt in the normal working range or whether it still uses the odd windings of the earlier beast.

This form of control must be very severe mechanically and to try to use it on large machines would cause a lot of problems. To brake effectively the alternator has to be very powerful, if it fails to brake under any condition then a fry up seems inevitable.

I have no desire to adopt the idea.

Flux

« Last Edit: August 30, 2007, 02:11:00 PM by (unknown) »

snowcrow

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2007, 08:44:33 PM »
Hi windyman, I have to agree this Flux on the air-x type controller!! I own an air-x and I've disabled the on board controller. The braking in high wind is very violent and I has not impressed with it at all.

I'm curious as to why you would want to stop your windmill from making power? There are many ways to use the extra power, hot water, heating, cooling, etc.. I think a diversion loan is the way to go, and use that power where you can, while you can!!

Blessings, Snow Crow

« Last Edit: August 30, 2007, 08:44:33 PM by (unknown) »

snowcrow

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2007, 08:47:03 PM »
TYPO: I have to agree with Flux on the air-x type controller!!
« Last Edit: August 30, 2007, 08:47:03 PM by (unknown) »

windyman

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2007, 11:36:34 AM »
Thanks guys....very much appreciated
« Last Edit: August 31, 2007, 11:36:34 AM by (unknown) »

windyman

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2007, 03:53:06 PM »
I am setting up a 500w 12v genny.  Once it is set up I will be experimenting with different types of regulation.  I am very much intrigued by the airx-x electronic shutdown, but every post that mentions shorts describes mechanical jolt and probable burnout.  I propose using one or more 100w resistors (cheap and small) added to the circuit in quick succession to slow the turbine (maybe to stall) prior to shorting.  I figure shorting once we are slow and stalled should be acceptable on a small machine.  Any feedback, thoughts on the feasibility of this concept would be most appreciated.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2007, 03:53:06 PM by (unknown) »

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2007, 05:20:23 AM »
I am not sure what you are really trying to do.

Once the batteries are fully charged it may make sense to shut the wind turbine down for a while, but as a means of charge control for the final stages of battery charging this repeated on /off operation at low frequency is not a desperately good method and will not be as effective as a conventional dump controller using pwm.

Whether or not you can actually stop the machine depends on the alternator characteristics. Not all machines will stop with a direct short, and trying it on one that has an under powered alternator will overheat it or burn it out.

If it is capable of stopping from any wind speed with a short then you can do it and you can use the series resistors to make the stop more gentle .

If you are looking at this as a means of control to avoid furling then I really don't like it and in high winds it will get away to the point that you will have to use a direct short to stop it as there may not be time to go through the resistor steps each time. The larger the machine the less practical it becomes.

There is an Australian charge control kit that brakes the mill in a similar way to a charge controller for solar but I really don't like the idea. It may work at 500W but again it may have long term ill effects on the blades and the alternator.

Flux

« Last Edit: September 01, 2007, 05:20:23 AM by (unknown) »

BrianEllul

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2007, 08:36:39 AM »
Hi Snow Crow

I'm interested as to how you disabled the on-board controller of your Air-X. Even me, I don't like the way it stalls in high wind... there is such a sudden vibration...

Did you take down the tower, the wild ac wires? Never opened one so I'm not sure what's inside!

Besides how do you protect from high wind?

Regards

Brian

« Last Edit: September 07, 2007, 08:36:39 AM by (unknown) »