Author Topic: 3 Rectifiers instead of 2  (Read 1306 times)

windyman

3 Rectifiers instead of 2
« on: September 07, 2007, 03:45:32 PM »
I saw a rectifier for sale that used 3 bridges instead of 2 (or 1 and 1/2 rather).  I began to think why you would do this...Split up each phase and wire one phase to each bridge (at least thats what it looks like they do).  This would 1 increase the capacity of the rectifier and 2 cut the losses as there would be 1/2 the current through each diode....Is that correct??  Correct me if Im wrong.

Thanks
« Last Edit: September 07, 2007, 03:45:32 PM by (unknown) »

Ungrounded Lightning Rod

• SuperHero Member
Re: 3 Rectifiers instead of 2
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2007, 10:54:27 AM »
Mainly it would increase the current capacity.  (Losses aren't appreciably affected because the voltage drop versus current curve is very steep, so the voltage drop isn't appreciably different for one diode or two in parallel.)

Also because of that steep current curve it's very important to balance the current between paralleled diodes.  Otherwise most of it will flow through one of 'em and you will only get a fraction of the improvement you paid for.

With the "three bridges" hack you do this by:

- Using the two halves of one bridge for each phase (rather than one AC terminal on each of two bridges).  This means your paralleled diodes are from the same manufacturing lot, tending to match the manufacturing variations, and are mounted closely together on a common heatsink, tending to match the operating temperature and its effect on voltage drop.

- Balancing the wiring resistance to the two halves, either by running a bare wire between the AC terminals and soldering the feed wire to its midpoint or by running a wire between the two AC terminals and fastening or soldering its midpoint to a terminal block where the phase line is attached (thus elimating any difference in connection resistance at the common point).  This is done because a small fraction of an ohm of difference in the wiring resistance can shift a large fraction of the current to the diode on the low-resistance side, while two EQUAL small fractions of an ohm resistances feeding the two diodes can have a strong current-balancing effect even if the diodes are a tad out of match.

« Last Edit: September 07, 2007, 10:54:27 AM by (unknown) »

windyman

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2007, 01:14:32 PM »
Wow thanks....I checked that graph..very true 1/2 the amps saves you a tenth of a volt.  It should make things more robust and cooler though.  You seem very knowledgeable so if you dont mind Ill ask a couple more 1.  Ive never made circuits before..is there a clean neat way to go from 2 wires (6gauge) to 1?..Im looking at these europa terminal blocks for the board..but terminal blocks dont connect do they?  They just go through each terminal if Im not mistaken and 2.  If you pull a rectified short in low wind to shutdown what kind of amperage spike can you expect? (Im considering the safety of the rectifiers here..if they are rated at 35 or 50 and you shutdown at say 20 will you get a massive 100 amp spike that will trash it?)

Many many thanks Rod
« Last Edit: September 07, 2007, 01:14:32 PM by (unknown) »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2007, 01:56:58 PM »
Don't underestimate the heat from bridges.  Keep them as cool as possible.

I am paranoid and never want anything running too hot to leave my finger on indefinitely.

The linked photo is a surplus 45A(?) bridge carrying solar power, usually under 20A.  The input is to BOTH AC terminals (paralleled diodes).  It got `hot', really hot.  The heat sink is the aluminum top from a security light.  Then it stayed cool.

Overkill is good.

G-

http://www.otherpower.com/images/scimages/2050/FrigCntrlr.jpg

« Last Edit: September 07, 2007, 01:56:58 PM by (unknown) »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

rossw

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2007, 04:07:56 PM »
I scored a whole tray of CPU coolers for free... and made my rectifier using them.

Bare heatsinks with fans, and one 35A bridge fitted:

[img width= height=]http://house.albury.net/28sep2006/thumb.MVC-508X.JPG[/img]

Three (for the 3 phases) mounted in a diecast aluminium case:

[img width= height=]http://house.albury.net/28sep2006/thumb.MVC-512X.JPG[/img]

Closeup of (ugly) interconnects:

[img width= height=]http://house.albury.net/28sep2006/thumb.MVC-514X.JPG[/img]

The fans are wired in series with a small half-wave rectifier and a capacitor, so whenever there is wind, the fans run. At over a kilowatt sustained, my rectifiers remain cool to the touch, which isn't bad I reckon!
« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 06:40:49 PM by rossw »