Author Topic: Back Up sump pump  (Read 862 times)

Devo

Back Up sump pump
« on: September 14, 2007, 12:15:07 AM »
I am going to install a back up pump im my boss's basement, right now he has a small battery back up one after the main but it doesn't work that well.

What I want is to have 2 full size pumps the back up will be a 1/3 hp submersible pump hooked to a pair of trojan golf cart batteries. they will be hooked up to a smart charger so when the electricity goes out there good to go when the water rises.

We would like to have an electric start gas powered generator out in the shed that would start if the batteries dropped below a certain voltage.

When it kicks on it would run the main pump while on as well as charge the batteries then shut off again.

I am not sure what I need to sence the battery voltage & make a relay start the generator when the pump batteries are low & how to shut it off when they are high.

Can a system like this be bought or does anyone want to guide the blind here?

He has spent many dollars redoing his basement & wants to ensure it will stay dry in the event of a power outage

thanks

Devin  

« Last Edit: September 14, 2007, 12:15:07 AM by (unknown) »

Volvo farmer

Re: Back Up sump pump
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2007, 08:51:41 PM »
Looks like Magnum makes just such a generator starter.

http://tinyurl.com/2u2bd4

If you buy an inverter with a built in battery charger, those might be the only two pieces of the puzzle you are missing to complete your shopping list.

« Last Edit: September 13, 2007, 08:51:41 PM by (unknown) »
Less bark, more wag.

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
Re: Back Up sump pump
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2007, 06:31:08 AM »
Try to get the backup pump make mostly of plastic.  2 or 3 years in a damp hole makes a never run, "good", sump pump a mass of non moving rust.

G-
« Last Edit: September 14, 2007, 06:31:08 AM by (unknown) »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller