Author Topic: First Turbine: Charge Controller  (Read 1112 times)

need bb

First Turbine: Charge Controller
« on: September 19, 2007, 02:03:40 AM »
Hi, I new to the site but I have fascinated with alternative energy for the last 10 years.  I found a large tape drive motor and decided to go and try to build a wind turbine, as it was something I always wanted to do.  I modeled my turbine on Michael Davis' websites instructions.  I made a custom hub along with 4FT long PCV blades.  The blades and hub aren't perfectly weighted, since I don't have a large collection of power tools.   Everything is done except the charge controller, and the turbine currently is set up in the back yard.  The turbine is not in a windy location since I am just testing everything to make sure it works.  Everything seems to be fine mechanically, but I am a little worried that the blades might be a little too long, as I haven't seen it spin much faster than 120RPM in a 10MPH wind.  Here is a video I took in a light wind:

http://media.csh.rit.edu/movie.wmv

I plan on moving the turbine to top of a building (100ft) located at my college in Rochester, NY where the wind is usually a constant 10-20MPH.  I need help designing a charge controller for the turbine.  I expect that the turbine will produce a max of 250W, and I plan on using a 12V battery setup.  Building a circuit and a little design work is no problem, but I haven't found many good resources or any starting references.  If anyone could give me some insight, I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks

Dan

« Last Edit: September 19, 2007, 02:03:40 AM by (unknown) »

wdyasq

Re: First Turbine: Charge Controller
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2007, 08:29:09 PM »
If you make 250 watts with a tape drive motor ..... you will be surpassing those here who have flown them.

If you do a search for 'controllers', you will eventually find one "Gurd" sells a kit for. A good investment IMO.

Ron

« Last Edit: September 18, 2007, 08:29:09 PM by (unknown) »
"I like the Honey, but kill the bees"

wooferhound

• SuperHero Member
  • Huntsville Alabama U.S.A.
    • Woofer Hound Sound & Lighting Rentals
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2007, 12:15:26 AM »
« Last Edit: September 19, 2007, 12:15:26 AM by (unknown) »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2007, 10:34:44 AM »
By chance, you wouldn't be affiliated with Mike Sal...e?

If you are interested, yahoo mail me, ghurd1

G-

« Last Edit: September 19, 2007, 10:34:44 AM by (unknown) »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

indalohousse

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2007, 05:39:23 AM »
Ghurd   i understand you sell your charge controller, and have read loads about it however im going mental trying to find out how i go about buying one    additionally can you let me know if its suitable for one of the AMetek 40V motors?   i understand that it should be ok     please send me a link to where i can buy one from   regards rob    indalohouse@tiscali.co.uk
« Last Edit: October 04, 2007, 05:39:23 AM by (unknown) »