Author Topic: Wind/Diesel gen-set combined dc rectification  (Read 1168 times)

Usman

Wind/Diesel gen-set combined dc rectification
« on: October 30, 2007, 11:28:24 PM »

I was wondering if it was possible to wire the 3-phase PMA Wind turbine as well as a 3-phase diesel genset (in low or no windy days) into a single bridge rectifier so that no seperate bridge rectifier is needed for the diesel generator, to rectify the output and charge btteries.

But would there be a problem if the wind picks up whilst the diesel Genset was still operational? i.e. both outputing power simultaneously into the rectifier?

I am just adding a diesel genset to my wind system, and would like to avoid using another bridge rectifier, as the original one is over-rated. Both sources are intended to charge 48V batteries.

I am stepping down the voltage of the 110VAC diesel generator to 60V and then running it through a rectifier for charging batteries.

Any ideas or suggestions if such a set-up is exposed yo any potential failures?

Thanks, Usman

« Last Edit: October 30, 2007, 11:28:24 PM by (unknown) »

vawtman

Re: Wind/Diesel gen-set combined dc rectification
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2007, 05:46:42 PM »
I am just adding diesel genset to my wind system?Can we see it?
« Last Edit: October 30, 2007, 05:46:42 PM by (unknown) »

Kevin L

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2007, 05:54:20 PM »
You will need two rectifiers, unless you use a relay or switch to disconnect the windmill or diesel gen while the other is running.  If both are connected you will be running diesel gen current through the coils of you windmill, and vise versa.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2007, 05:54:20 PM by (unknown) »

wdyasq

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2007, 05:56:08 PM »
What are the volts/amps ratings of the generator sets? Or, are these Vapo-ware sets that are just done so we may mentally imagine and create a solution to a non-existing problem?

Personally, I don't know why one would want to scrimp on $20 worth of bridge rectifiers and probably more wire to complicate a system. But it may be real and may be yours. And, you are welcome to do anything you may desire with such a system.

Ron

« Last Edit: October 30, 2007, 05:56:08 PM by (unknown) »
"I like the Honey, but kill the bees"

Volvo farmer

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2007, 09:05:56 PM »
 Or, are these Vapo-ware sets that are just done so we may mentally imagine and create a solution to a non-existing problem?

LOLOLOL!

Okay. I'm going to figure out how to put this in a sig file in my profile. Yes you will get authorship credit. Off into the void which is Scoop.

« Last Edit: October 30, 2007, 09:05:56 PM by (unknown) »
Less bark, more wag.

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2007, 09:38:32 PM »
Farmer of Volvos;

Yeah, I been thinking these are mostly mind exercises. Haven't seen any hardware yet but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist in the real word.

Glad others think in a similar vein. Too bad because energy spent on this does not get spent on someone actually building something. Such is the internet.

Cheers.

TomW

« Last Edit: October 30, 2007, 09:38:32 PM by (unknown) »

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2007, 12:33:11 PM »
In a way, this could work:

Run the system primarily off the generator,

Reduce the wind turbine's tower height to about 3 feet,

Point the windmill toward the house,

and then you have a BIG fan.

In addition, the heat dissipated from the windings might even heat the house...

Sorry for the teasing, but it's obvious what would happen.

« Last Edit: October 31, 2007, 12:33:11 PM by (unknown) »
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

wpowokal

• Far North Queensland (FNQ) Australia
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2007, 06:03:37 AM »
Usman, It could work if you had a brake switch on the turbine which (a) disconected the turbine and shorted it out (the braking), and another switch to isolate the transformer when the wind turbine is in use. But as others have said, why would you? rectifiers and heatsinks are relativley cheep.

Another point if you do use the 110v/60v transformer you will need some form of current limiting for when the batteries are a little low. Otherwise the current through the rectifiers & transformer may be excessive. This can be as simple as another transformer with identical/very similar secondary winding (60v) in series with the output of the step down one, it will act as a choke (current limiter). Others are more qualified than me on the finer points but basically that's the way if not using electronics.

My crude charger does not have current limiting and I have blowen a few bridge rectifiers, but I manage it now with generator load/speed. Anyway as my Re imputs build there is very much less need to boost. It is easy to do things too cheeply, and it is never reliable, fine if one is just tinkering but if it's your only power supply it has to be reliable.

allan down under

« Last Edit: November 01, 2007, 06:03:37 AM by (unknown) »
A gentleman is man who can disagree without being disagreeable.