Author Topic: power inverters and dumploads  (Read 1337 times)

brianschanafelt

power inverters and dumploads
« on: January 13, 2008, 06:46:52 AM »
I had a couple of questions about what power inverter would be the best for my 24v wind turbine but will be cost friendly and dependable. I eventually want to be completely off of the grid but i am not rushing that to fast. and the other question i have is how do u hook up a dump load so i don't over charge my batteries. i really have not seen to many diagrams that tell me how. any info that could help me out would be much appreciated. than u

Moved to a more appropriate section.

« Last Edit: January 13, 2008, 06:46:52 AM by (unknown) »

wooferhound

• SuperHero Member
  • Huntsville Alabama U.S.A.
    • Woofer Hound Sound & Lighting Rentals
Re: power inverters and dumploads
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2008, 10:34:15 AM »
The second image on this page is a schematic of a dump controller that is hooked up to a battery.

http://www.fieldlines.com/story/2007/8/24/172521/889

I don't know about the inverter , , ,

« Last Edit: January 13, 2008, 10:34:15 AM by (unknown) »

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2008, 11:15:23 PM »
You may find this picture helpful:

I took the photo of the DC distribution panel before I installed it in my battery shed.

The power from the mill is rectified (from 3-phase) in a separate control box.

DC coming out of the control box connects to the copper bars, sharing connections

with the battery bank and the charge controller (white box shown in photo).

Beside the charge controller is the dump load: four large Ohmite resistors that can shed 400 Watts in their current configuration.  When I upgrade to a 24V system, they will shed 800 Watts.  Because the cylinders are so large, they don't get extremely hot until they're working near the top of their rating (300 Watts each in this case).

I found this set on E-bay.  For once it was exactly what I needed.

As for the inverter, I'm still shopping.  In 24V, you can choose from Xantrex, Outback, and Magnum; they seem to be popular.  Each has its proponents and critics.  There are a lot of other choices too, but if you want features tailored for RE, you might want to stick with these guys.  Check out the AEE catalog:

http://www.alt-energy.com/

Here's a opposing philosophy for you (the one I've used):  While you're experimenting, get something kinda cheap so that when you "learn a lesson" the hard way, it doesn't throw too much money away.  Maybe you don't need the fanciest inverter while you're still a rookie.  I boiled down a pair of Trojan lead-acid batteries, instead of a bigger bank of AGM batteries that would cost a pretty penny to replace.

« Last Edit: January 13, 2008, 11:15:23 PM by (unknown) »
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

brianschanafelt

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2008, 11:36:01 PM »
is there any way that i could use a couple of batteries that i have around the yard to get me buy until i can afford to get some agm batteries. and i also have a cheepie inverter. i am starting out with powering small things around the garage. will that hurt anything
« Last Edit: January 13, 2008, 11:36:01 PM by (unknown) »

ZooT

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2008, 03:46:04 AM »
From what I've read here they probably won't last too long, and the weaker of the two batteries will hold the other to it's level.......but for testing and fiddling around I'd try it........after all.....it's better then nothing
« Last Edit: January 15, 2008, 03:46:04 AM by (unknown) »

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2008, 10:09:21 PM »
Use your own judgement:  it does depend on what you're trying not to hurt.  If it's just 6 light bulbs, then poor quality power may make them burn out faster = pennies lost.  On the other hand, you may have a deep-freezer in your garage with a side of beef, christmas left-overs and 5 tubs of ice cream.  If the inverter craps out on that, then it would really be a shame!

« Last Edit: January 16, 2008, 10:09:21 PM by (unknown) »
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca