Author Topic: dump load  (Read 1781 times)

windspeed

dump load
« on: April 10, 2008, 10:24:17 PM »
Has anyone tried glow plugs from a deisel engine I have hooked up two 12 V in series but the wind has gone away

I assume hey must be prety tough to live inside a combustion chamber.

As there is only one connection I solder a wire onto a nut and thread it up on the plug it just needs a cuple of threads as they probably wont match

windspeed

« Last Edit: April 10, 2008, 10:24:17 PM by (unknown) »

RogerAS

Re: dump load
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2008, 05:04:38 PM »
Windspeed,

While your idea might work in a doubled series setup I have my doubts.

I have a small Kubota and it has a glow plug. I first had this set up with a single pole single throw on/off switch as part of the remote control from the house. I forgot to turn it off and it burned out quite quickly. These are made to operate for a few seconds and then turn off. Granted this was glowing at 12V inside a combustion chamber but it didn't survive.

Nichrome wire is easy to come by. Look for a hair drier or toaster for salvage wire. Even automotive cigarette lighters have this in a coiled up form. I would think this stuff would be better suited for a dump load. Glow plugs, at least for my Kubota, are pricey and unless you have a source the experiment might get costly real fast.

Good luck.

« Last Edit: April 10, 2008, 05:04:38 PM by (unknown) »

zeusmorg

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2008, 05:19:29 PM »
 Glow plugs used as a dump load would probably burn up pretty rapidly, they are designed for short cycle heating. and not being encapsulated in a heavy steel chamber would probably even decrease that.

It would be an expensive way if you bought them at retail to build a dump load.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2008, 05:19:29 PM by (unknown) »

windspeed

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2008, 05:40:12 PM »
glow plugs are ten a penny in breakers  I was cosidering as an experiment (while being near to the shorting switch) fixing some of them into a pipe with water circulating through

windspeed

« Last Edit: April 10, 2008, 05:40:12 PM by (unknown) »

blueyonder

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2008, 05:58:03 PM »
  glow plugs .as a dump load .possible.

why and how.  using wvo or veg oil to run in a heavy oil engine .

guys have been using glow plugs to preheat the oil before it gos to the pump.

it is allways in oil and never air.

thay use a big lump of ally . like a block . drill all the holes and chambers .

and it works very well.

in the past ive burned out glow plugs just testing them.

but thay can go open circuit  .  you could use them to light your cigarettes

at a push.

i also used them to burn wood. make rustic looking placks etc  .

interesting thoughts.   just like a heavy duty soldering iron.

« Last Edit: April 10, 2008, 05:58:03 PM by (unknown) »

JimB

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2008, 08:14:09 PM »
I recently made a dump load using 3 glow plugs from my VW Rabbits. I picked 3 because I have a 50 amp battery charger and the dump load uses 60 amps at maximum. A Xantrex C60 switches the load to my control box. I have pictures that I would like to post sometime but here is the gist. Using 3/8 inch pipe tees I made a manifold that is in a vertical line on the side of my water heater preheat tank. 3/8 by 1/8 inch bushings mount the plugs. The glow plugs are submerged in water continuously and heat by thermosiphon. They should last a very long time as they are cooled by slowly flowing water. The tank also has a parallel thermosiphon loop heated by my wood furnace plenum. The battery bank that this controls is to be powered by a Listeroid system that is nearly complete.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2008, 08:14:09 PM by (unknown) »

zeusmorg

Re: dump load heat sinked
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2008, 09:32:04 PM »
 Very good usage of them. Heating water with them they would be likely to last much longer and transfer that extra energy.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2008, 09:32:04 PM by (unknown) »

windspeed

Re: dump load heat sinked
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2008, 07:19:21 AM »
this is exactly my plan I was considering mounting the glow plugs on a verticle run of pipe by soldering a suitable nut over a hole drilled in the pipe and screwing in the glow plug

would like to see the pics Jim b

windspeed

« Last Edit: April 11, 2008, 07:19:21 AM by (unknown) »

TheCasualTraveler

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2008, 07:22:45 AM »
I found this link.

http://www.beru.com/english/produkte/gluehkerzen/gn.php

Looks like what you guys are talking about.

« Last Edit: April 11, 2008, 07:22:45 AM by (unknown) »