Author Topic: redundant inverter question  (Read 883 times)

(unknown)

redundant inverter question
« on: April 22, 2008, 01:30:42 AM »
I wanted to run this idea past you guys and see if it floats.

My generator has two 110 volt legs on it. Right now one leg goes to my SW4024. That all works fine. The other leg is only used with the first leg to pump water with my 220 volt well pump.

I would like to add another inverter system with batteries. I can charge the second set of batteries with the other leg from the generator using just about the same amount of diesel.

I would like to use a Square D manuel Transfer switch to control which inverter feeds the service panel of my house.

The service panel will be wired into the center of the transfer switch while each inverter is wired into either side of the transfer switch.

If you think this will work I have the advantage of a backup inverter by switching the transfer switch from one to the other inverter.

I can also run one set of batteries down. Switch to the other set of batteries. When they are both run down I can start my generator and charge them both at the same time. With the same amount of run time as I would charging one set of batteries.

My question is this. The only wires that will not be separated are the neutral since they all run back to neutral. Will that effect what I am trying to do?

Thanks for any information you can give me.

Mark

« Last Edit: April 22, 2008, 01:30:42 AM by (unknown) »

wooferhound

• SuperHero Member
  • Huntsville Alabama U.S.A.
    • Woofer Hound Sound & Lighting Rentals
Re: redundant inverter question
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2008, 05:51:49 AM »
My only thought is . . .

You can't hook an inverter to a neutral that is connected to the Ground wire.

it will be a Short Circuit to the inverter and it will Blow Up.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2008, 05:51:49 AM by (unknown) »

jzeveney

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2008, 07:31:34 AM »
Re: "You can't hook an inverter to a neutral that is connected to the Ground wire.

it will be a Short Circuit to the inverter and it will Blow Up."

On older inverters the neutal floats and this is true.

However,

Many new inverts this can be done and it's required to pass code (So I'm told). You really need to contact your inverter manufacture for their specification.  

Example:  My AIMS 3000W pure sign invert I have the neutral wired to my main panels ground bar.

Z

« Last Edit: April 22, 2008, 07:31:34 AM by (unknown) »

(unknown)

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2008, 09:36:41 AM »

How about the idea of the out going AC's neutral (from the first inverter) being wired into the second inverters out going AC's neutral? I can separate the hot legs but not the neutrals. Would they effect each other?
« Last Edit: April 22, 2008, 09:36:41 AM by (unknown) »

jzeveney

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2008, 02:51:28 PM »
I'm starting to understand your question.  Are you attempting to pull power from both inverters at the same time to the same circuit?  If so your going to have to match the phase output of both inverts to accomplish this that is not an easy task.  

If you wanting to power two seprate circuits but have the neutrals both wired to the main panel ground bar that is only possible if you inverter is designed to have the neutral grounded.  Depending on your particular inverter.  If they don't support neutral grounding you'll smoke both of them.  I would contact the maker and ask them can the neutrals be grounded.  If yes your good to go as long as you service the hots to different circuits.

Z
« Last Edit: April 22, 2008, 02:51:28 PM by (unknown) »