Author Topic: Possible broken power inverter for a solar power system?  (Read 1422 times)

(unknown)

Possible broken power inverter for a solar power system?
« on: June 03, 2008, 11:15:16 PM »
I have an aims 400 watt power inverter with a 12 volt input.  I recently attached it to 3 batteries that were wired in series, because when i wired them, i wasnt paying enough attention and made a mistake.  So instead of the expected 12 volts input, it got 36 volts input.  I connected the inverter(and got a big spark but that always happens, which can't be good but what ever... it always worked) and turned it on.  I first noticed something was wrong when the cooling fan for the inverter didnt start.  I immediately turned off the inverter and disconnected it.  I then realized the stupid mistake i made.  I attached it to a properly wired battery putting out the proper voltage, and it appeared to work, it powered my guitar amp with no problems, and probably another stupid idea, i plugged in my cell phone, but it charged the phone and the phone is still working fine.  These are the 2 things that make me wonder if it is broken...

1. It has a odd smell (The smell you get from attaching those tiny hobby motors to a car battery)
  2. The cooling fan is now weaker in terms of sound and output.

The question is, does it sound like it will be ok, or do i save up $40 to buy another.

NOTE:  If i buy another, should i get another aims or some other brand such as

go power!

Thanks!

« Last Edit: June 03, 2008, 11:15:16 PM by (unknown) »

dnix71

• SuperHero Member
Re: Possible broken power inverter for a solar pow
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2008, 06:12:19 PM »
I have a 300 watt AIMS true sine inverter. If the fan doesn't run (mine only runs under a heavy load) then you will cook the inverter.

If yours only cost $40, then it's a mod sine inverter. Those are cheap these days. Why risk a fire or damage to what you are trying to power. Just throw it away and buy a new one.

Save the cables and fuses.

« Last Edit: June 03, 2008, 06:12:19 PM by (unknown) »

(unknown)

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2008, 07:12:56 PM »
The fan is now much stronger, back to the same power as when it started, and it doesnt smell anymore.  I think it will be ok?
« Last Edit: June 03, 2008, 07:12:56 PM by (unknown) »

(unknown)

Do i?
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2008, 03:35:32 PM »
Do i really need a pure sine wave inverter for a cell phone? Any suggestions on an inexpensive pure sine wave inverter?  Can be low wattage.  The cellphone plug states that the input is 18 watts.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2008, 03:35:32 PM by (unknown) »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
Re: Do i?
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2008, 04:23:11 PM »
No need for pure sine.

I would say something "with a wire to the plug",

not one of those one-piece do-dads.

My luck with do-dads is bad.  Others have had better luck with them.

How about a 400W Vector?  Cheap.  They work great for me.  Room for expansion (laptops, drill, cameras, etc).

The RED 'VEC024' kind, not the 'Power On Board' and "POBxxx" part number kind of crap.

The 175W is 'nice' too, but costs about the same.

YMMY,

G-

« Last Edit: June 04, 2008, 04:23:11 PM by (unknown) »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

dnix71

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2008, 05:26:48 PM »
AIMS pure sine inverters are 5 times the price of a mod sine inverter. I paid $125 for a 300 watt Aims PWRI30012S.

I already have a mod sine inverter, and wanted to run a laptop and AA/AAA battery chargers. The laptop is worth a lot more than the extra 100 bucks the pure sine inverter cost. It will also run a wall clock correctly and is safe for power tool chargers that use voltage dividers (or a rechargeable electric shaver).

I've been running the laptop for a couple of months off the AIMS with no problems.

« Last Edit: June 04, 2008, 05:26:48 PM by (unknown) »

DamonHD

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Earth Notes
Re: Do i?
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2008, 09:01:55 PM »
It would probably be considerably more efficient for you to use a car/truck style dedicate phone charger to go direct from your 12V to your phone, bypassing the AC entirely...

Not expensive or bulky either.

Rgds

Damon

« Last Edit: June 04, 2008, 09:01:55 PM by (unknown) »
Podcast: https://www.earth.org.uk/SECTION_podcast.html

@DamonHD@mastodon.social

elvin1949

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2008, 12:14:23 AM »
 crapkiller

You killed it,just a matter of time.

Stay with it while using it,and suck it up and by a new one.

Hard lesson learned.

later

Elvin
« Last Edit: June 07, 2008, 12:14:23 AM by (unknown) »