Author Topic: Xantrex XW-6048 data logging  (Read 2188 times)

dlenox

• PowerDashboard monitoring/logging software for RE systems
Xantrex XW-6048 data logging
« on: July 23, 2008, 03:18:34 PM »
With the recent replacement of my mis-wired stator I am starting to get decent output from my 17' turbine.

With this I would like to implement some sort of data logging of data including the turbine output as well as inverter output/stats.

I have researched and found that the Xanbus on the inverter is essentially Canbus with an RJ45 connector, and have found some hardware suppliers that provide interface.

Does anyone know of any software that can work with Xanbus/Canbus interface? I have not found one, and did not see that Xantrex provides any data logging software either.  I saw some posts that said that previously Xantrex did have some software available for a previous inverter, but have not been able to locate this software.

I am a software developer and can create the software, but would rather not re-invent the wheel if anyone has any links to something suitable.

Dan Lenox

« Last Edit: July 23, 2008, 03:18:34 PM by (unknown) »

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
Re: Xantrex XW-6048 data logging
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2008, 09:52:31 AM »
You don't say what OS you use or wish to use? Linux might be your OS for this?

I use a perl script on a Linksys "Slug" [thanks to many on IRC and IbedonC for getting the slug stuff going to start]to access my Outback Mate's serial bus and it is great once you bug out the communications. I log to flat files and process with awk / sed / perl / gnuplot to build a php webpages of current stats and historic data.

Anyway, when I was hunting down how to avoid M$ only supported software I saw some sourceforge.net projects involved with the SW series inverters. So the core info must be out there as open source. Outback publishes its serial communications protocols not sure of Xantrex tho.

Just from memory.

Good luck with it.

Tom

Tom

« Last Edit: July 23, 2008, 09:52:31 AM by (unknown) »

dlenox

• PowerDashboard monitoring/logging software for RE systems
Re: Xantrex XW-6048 data logging
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2008, 11:35:03 AM »
Tom,

I can go Linux, Sun or Windows as I have hardware and OS's for all, I can also write all the drivers if necessary as well as the software. In past I have done embedded software development for Lucent back in the 90's - and others beyond - been developing real-time software for over 30yrs now (anybody remember Ticketron?)

My first preference would be to acquire off the shelf software. If not available then I will contemplate going down the other path, if I go there I will also create the code to dynamically vary the settings on the inverter as well.  This would give me the ability to essentially change the cut-in volts (sell at volts), as well as other inverter parameters as well and give me a great amount of control.

If I went that route then I would probably develop the software so that it can run under Windows as it is very prevelant. It normally is not great for real-time applications but monitoring the wind turbine/inverter output only really needs 10-15 second intervals minimum.

I think that I saw the same Xantrex SW links that you referred to, in addition to software that Xantrex used to publish.

Dan

« Last Edit: July 23, 2008, 11:35:03 AM by (unknown) »