Author Topic: Filter for freq measurement with DVM [CLOSED]  (Read 880 times)

mgtd

Filter for freq measurement with DVM [CLOSED]
« on: November 19, 2008, 03:29:16 PM »
In another recent post of mine, suggestions were made that filtering the raw AC would be necessary to obtain readings using a DVM with freq. capabilities.  I have on order an Elenco model LCM 1950 with autoranging frequency to 4 Mhz.  Resolution is supposed to 1 hz.

Can Flux, or others, provide a simple diagram of the filters proposed with component designations.  I'm not an electronic whiz and could use a little more direction.

I hope to get some meaningful output readings from my 10' Otherpower, at known windspeed (Lacross anneometer below turbine)and RPM of turbine (DVM w Freq capability).

If I'm sucessfull, I post and share.  Mill is almost ready to go back in the air after stator rebuild and other mods due to burnout a few weeks ago.

Makes much more sense to discuss this in the original post rather than spread it all over.

« Last Edit: November 19, 2008, 03:29:16 PM by (unknown) »

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
Re: Filter for freq measurement with DVM
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2008, 09:11:45 AM »
Something that goes to 4Mhz is going to pick up every spike and harmonic going.

Try connecting a .22uF capacitor across the meter input. Connect the common lead to one lead of the ac in to the bridge and from one of the other ac leads connect a 47k resistor to the meter active terminal ( capacitor connection).

If it is still neurotic you can increase the capacitor or resistor as the meter will not need many millivolts to operate.

Flux

« Last Edit: November 19, 2008, 09:11:45 AM by (unknown) »