Author Topic: Gen voltage range for battery-less grid tie  (Read 870 times)

Adam T

Gen voltage range for battery-less grid tie
« on: June 16, 2009, 08:42:29 PM »
My question is for those of you with home built gens. using batteryless grid tie inverters:

- What voltage is your gen modeled after (12/24/48/other) and what range does it perform in?

- What inverter and accessories are you using?

- What made you choose to go against the grain by not using batteries?

I keep going back and forth over the merits of going batteryless vs. having backup.  I live on a couple acres with good wind resource, to the point where it can seem bothersome.  I have been logging the wind for 15+ months.  I am on grid, which is very stable.  I know that grid power is cheaper.  I have three daughters, and the return-on-investment for them is certainly not measured in dollars.  I know lots of people who have poured thousands of dollars into things like home theater systems, horses, car restoration, boating, or golfing.  Virtually none of which have any hope of monetary return, but they get to spend time with people who have the same interests, and can always use the experience of what they have learned to bore the pants off of the unsuspecting and innocent.  See, I have a goal.

Adam T.

Nothing is too cruel, if it's funny enough.

« Last Edit: June 16, 2009, 08:42:29 PM by (unknown) »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
Re: Gen voltage range for battery-less grid tie
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2009, 03:13:53 PM »
If you do Not want or need battery back up, don't let the battery option make your decision.

If you want a little bit of battery back up, maybe get a pair of generic (Sam's Club type) T-105s, a little 110VAC switching charger with a low shut off voltage (Battery Tender Jr, maybe the waterproof one?)...

And a little 400W inverter.  Can watch the TV news, weather, etc for a Long time.

Or a bigger inverter to run the furnace and blower, but not very long or very many times from a pair of those batteries.  (Not an electric furnace)

Three daughters?  No hair driers when the grid is down!  LOL

G-

« Last Edit: June 16, 2009, 03:13:53 PM by (unknown) »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller