Author Topic: Is there a Maximum charge voltage limit for charging deep cell batteries?  (Read 5431 times)

(unknown)

If a battery bank is being monitored using a dump load controller, is there a limit to the charge voltage?

If the dump controller is set to divert to a load at a set voltage point and the charge voltage exceeds the set point, what would happen?

Thanks in advance for any feedback received

« Last Edit: June 18, 2009, 02:13:09 PM by (unknown) »

wpowokal

• Far North Queensland (FNQ) Australia
Re: Is there a Maximum charge
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2009, 08:35:42 AM »
This is going to seem a little negative so apologies in advance, I have reviewed your posts and you remind me of  an out of control atom bouncing off everything. This question like previous ones lacks specifics.

A dump load controller operating within it's capacity and correctly set will control the battery voltage.

If voltage exceeds "dump controller" set point the results would depend on battery type, capacity verses input current and duration and probably some other points.

Not very helpful I know but your questions are so vague it's hard to be of real help.

allan down under

« Last Edit: June 18, 2009, 08:35:42 AM by (unknown) »
A gentleman is man who can disagree without being disagreeable.

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
Re: Is there a Maximum charge voltage limit for ch
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2009, 09:36:30 AM »
The charge voltage is the same as the battery voltage.

They have to be the same because they are connected.

The charging Amps make the battery voltage climb.  Say it is 10A.

The battery voltage reaches the regulation voltage, so the dump controller dumps.  Say it dumps 15A.

The battery voltage is no longer rising.  It is falling.

The 10A charging current is going into the battery, but the dump load is removing 15A from the battery.

The battery is being drained 5A faster than it is being charged.  The battery voltage drops.

When the battery voltage goes down enough, the controller stops sending 15A to the dump load.  It starts charging again at 10A.

The dump load must be larger than the maximum charging current will ever be.

It happens very quickly with a decent controller.  Depending on the conditions within the system and the controller, the cycling happens from a couple times per second to thousands of times per second.

G-

« Last Edit: June 18, 2009, 09:36:30 AM by (unknown) »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

(unknown)

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2009, 09:36:06 PM »
Hi, thank you for the well explained answer. That is the information I am looking for.

Thanks again and best regards

« Last Edit: June 18, 2009, 09:36:06 PM by (unknown) »

(unknown)

Re: Is there a Maximum charge
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2009, 09:43:05 PM »
Hi, no apologies necessary.  I greatly appreciate your efforts.   It is just that my knowledge of the subject matter is so low that sometimes I am unable to formulate a well formed question. Thank you for understanding. Best regards

« Last Edit: June 18, 2009, 09:43:05 PM by (unknown) »

(unknown)

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2009, 11:32:07 AM »
hell=o,(or heaven-o), I must correct you in regards to charging voltage. charging voltage needs to be higher than the batteries voltage for current to flow, always. but it sounds like the charger you're talking about is on top of that. talk to you soon,

chrisfrost
« Last Edit: June 21, 2009, 11:32:07 AM by (unknown) »

ghurd

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2009, 07:10:02 PM »
If they are connected, and they must be connected for current to flow, for all practical purposes they are the same voltage.

KVL

G-

« Last Edit: June 21, 2009, 07:10:02 PM by (unknown) »
www.ghurd.info<<<-----Information on my Controller

(unknown)

Re: alternator voltage clamps to battery voltage
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2009, 08:21:02 PM »
Hi I found that the alternator voltage clamps to the battery voltage, as current flows the battery starts charging and the voltage increases over time. I did not under stand that and it has cleared a lot of confusion. Thanks to all for feedback received and best regards.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2009, 08:21:02 PM by (unknown) »

TomW

• Super Hero Member Plus
Re: alternator voltage clamps to battery voltage
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2009, 05:16:56 AM »
KilroyOdin;

You are not the first one to get fooled by that tiny yet important detail.

We have seen trained electronics folks that totally miss that little gem. Took me awhile to get it fixed in my head at first, also.

Glad the light came on for you!

Tom

« Last Edit: June 22, 2009, 05:16:56 AM by (unknown) »