Author Topic: Transformers  (Read 1320 times)

wpowokal

• Far North Queensland (FNQ) Australia
Transformers
« on: September 27, 2009, 05:50:42 AM »
My new system is partially up and running, I have a high (750) volt link between the new system and my current system 3 Kw transformers. Installing electrician tells me that the idle losses across both transformers is 80 watts.

Question is will some capacitance across the 240 volt side of these tranies help, my gut feeling is yes but..........

« Last Edit: September 27, 2009, 05:50:42 AM by (unknown) »
A gentleman is man who can disagree without being disagreeable.

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
Re: Transformers
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2009, 06:48:40 AM »
You can correct for the transformer magnetising current but it will do nothing for losses. Where you may gain a little bit is in the reduction of alternator loss with the removal of the magnetising current it has to supply.

The main snag is that it is a variable frequency system and correct capacitors to neutralise the magnetising current at cut in will give you a leading power factor load at higher speeds. This may not be a disadvantage as it will increase the alternator excitation. All depends on your load matching this may be an advantage if your high end loading is light but if it is heading to stall in high winds then this may be a disadvantage.

The snag is that with most of these schemes the frequency is low and you need large capacitors so in all probability you won't manage to add to much. Give it a try you are probably running well lagging anyway so some compensation may be a step in the right direction. Transformers are not good at low frequency they need to be very large for a low loss, not only will the no load loss be high but I expect the full low load loss will be high as the things need to be monsters to keep I^R losses comparable with normal frequency schemes.

If you are lucky and have chosen an alternator with lots of poles then the frequency may not be so bad.

flux

« Last Edit: September 27, 2009, 06:48:40 AM by (unknown) »

wpowokal

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2009, 07:37:49 AM »
Flux I fear I have misled a little, the transformers are supplied from a 6Kw Selectronic sine wave inverter.

My new system is 4Kw of solar for a new house and the HV link was a way to utilize surplus power, so I can live with the losses as I will only have it energized when required. The system has not been fully commissioned yet so I can not play with it...yet.

I guess I just had a brain fart, but thanks for your interest.

allan down under

« Last Edit: September 27, 2009, 07:37:49 AM by (unknown) »

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2009, 09:31:54 AM »
That does change things a lot. There is probably little to be gained with capacitors in this case, it depends a lot on the inverter and how it tolerates reactive load.

It may be possible to pf correct enough to keep the inverter load near unity but I wouldn't do it without consulting the inverter manufacturers.

With 4kW I think you have to accept some transformer loss, its only a small %. It could have been a much larger % with wind in low wind periods. If you can switch it out when the input is negligible that seems the best option.

Flux

« Last Edit: September 27, 2009, 09:31:54 AM by (unknown) »

wpowokal

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2009, 04:16:30 PM »
Thanks Flux

Allan down under

« Last Edit: September 27, 2009, 04:16:30 PM by (unknown) »